[book 1] chapter eleven: test time

JAMES HAD FINISHED cleaning up his cuts and much to my dismay he put the shirt on

JAMES HAD FINISHED cleaning up his cuts and much to my dismay he put the shirt on. My eyes widened as I realized what I had just thought. These fantasizing thoughts about his body, no matter how attractive, were not only inappropriate but also highly disturbing. He was the same asshole he was yesterday, and I had to keep reminding myself of that. 

    "I didn't mean to hit you with the rock," he said after a while of silence.

    "It's okay, I'm a tough cookie."

    "Let me see."

    "I'm fine."

    James didn't take that for an answer. He stepped toward me and rolled my sleeve up to inspect my shoulder. I took in a sharp breath when his cold fingers made contact with my skin. He pressed his fingers against my shoulder. 

    "Does this hurt?"

    "A little."

    "Ice it in the morning and you'll be fine." Just like that, he stepped back. Ironically I felt colder despite the absence of his cool fingers.

    "Thanks." I went to my closet and took out some spare blankets. "Sorry the floor isn't carpeted."

    "So long as I'm inside, I don't really care where I sleep." 

    He took the blankets from me and made a makeshift bed on the floor. I walked over to my bed and put my laptop away before laying down. I made sure to put my laptop in my nightstand drawer when he wasn't looking. I didn't know him well and for all I knew, he could've been a thief. I noticed he didn't have a pillow so I tossed him one of mine, aiming for the back of his head.

    He glowered at me after the pillow smacked him. "How generous of you."

    "No need to be so sarcastic all the time," I grumbled.

    James looked me directly in the eyes, his gaze so intense I felt like I was melting. "Thank you."

    I let out a yawn, cutting this rare moment of his gratitude short. "My family can't know you were here."

    "I'll be gone before any of them wake up."

    "Where are you going to go?"

    He shrugged. "That's a concern for the morning." 

    I had so many questions I wanted to ask, but I didn't want him to lash out again so I stayed quiet. I turned off my lamp and closed my eyes. 

    "Do me a favour," he said. "Don't bring this up."

    "Bring what up?"

    "I can't tell if you're playing along or genuinely confused."

    "Goodnight." 

    Despite the fact that there was a boy who I barely knew sleeping on my floor, I was already almost asleep. It must've been a result of sleeping at my desk last night when Monica decided to take over my bed, but whatever the reason I was exhausted. I studied harder than I had ever studied before and it was taking an evident toll on my body. I couldn't wait to take this test and hopefully ace it.