[book 1] chapter fourteen: confessions & revelations

"NOW LOOK WHO'S being overdramatic

"NOW LOOK WHO'S being overdramatic."

    "Overdramatic? If you don't agree with me then there must be something wrong with you."

    "They're not even that bad."

    "Coming from the guy who despises tomatoes."

    "That's a whole different story. There is a popular divide between people who love and hate tomatoes."

    "Well," I said as we continued walking. "I guess people are too distracted with tomatoes to realize how atrocious zucchinis are." 

    We stopped in front of my locker. I opened it and put my morning textbooks inside, replacing them with my afternoon textbooks.

    James looked at my locker with distaste. "Why are you so messy?"

    "Who cares? In a few months, this locker won't even be mine anymore."

    He snatched a book out of my locker and flipped through it. "One of my favourite plays," he muttered, skimming through the Macbeth book I was assigned for English class.

    I smirked at the irony. "Crazy man likes a play about a crazy man? Not surprised."

    James rolled his eyes. "Macbeth wasn't crazy. His ambition and greed consumed him whole and drove him to a state of insanity."

    "So he was crazy," I concluded.

    He shook his head at me. "Has your mom asked about the window?"

    "She didn't buy the bird excuse, but she was too tired to argue so she's getting it fixed," I said.

    "Why didn't you use any of my excuses?" he asked, looking offended.

    "They were too complicated," I said with a wave of my hand.

    "Or maybe you're too stupid to comprehend," he said with a sly smile.

    I tried to smack James' arm with my textbook, but he caught my wrist before I could. I was about to say something, but someone beat me to the punch.

    "What's going on here?" I involuntarily gulped when I recognized the voice. My suspicions were confirmed when I turned around and saw Brenton and his friends. His eyes flickered from James to me.

    "Hey," I said in a shaky voice.

    "What the hell are you doing with him?" Brenton demanded.

    "Obviously we're talking," James scoffed.

    Brenton glared up at him, though he didn't look too intimidating considering James was at least a couple inches taller. "If you know what's good for you, you'll shut up and walk away."

    James laughed and he pulled up his sleeves. "I kicked your ass once, I won't hesitate to do it again."

    I elbowed him in the rib before focusing my attention on Brenton. "I don't think a fight is something you're looking for this close to finals."