[book 2] chapter twenty-nine: betrayal

A FEW DAYS had passed since the rehearsal dinner —which was a huge success, might I add— but the stress of the actual wedding was only heightened

A FEW DAYS had passed since the rehearsal dinner —which was a huge success, might I add— but the stress of the actual wedding was only heightened. If I wasn't working at the town hall, I was confirming wedding details. If I wasn't doing that, then I was reassuring the overwhelmed groom, and if I wasn't doing that... Well, I was eating and/or sleeping.

James was back at Penbrooke with his skank best friend, and I was getting more anxious with each day that passed since we had last seen each other. I trusted James a lot, but I didn't trust Leila one bit. I was scared of the tricks she would try to pull while those two were alone. I knew James was really busy with his research position and I didn't want to be a clingy girlfriend, but I just really wanted to be with him.

Luckily, Niko and Vanessa wanted to go over the wedding seating chart with me today, and since the two of them had back-to-back classes, I offered to go to Penbrooke to meet with them. Of course, this meant I would be able to sneak a visit to my boyfriend. The last time I tried to surprise James went completely awry, so this time I texted him to give him a heads up that I was visiting.

"Thanks again for driving me," I told Amber. After my last few experiences with the jeep, I decided not to take any chances and to go with a friend instead.

"I still can't believe she kissed him," Amber said, reminding me of the memory I very badly wanted to forget. "I mean, who knew you were right all along about Leila trying to steal James?"

"Woohoo, I'm so glad I was right," I deadpanned. "Can we talk about anything else?"

"How's Holden?"

"Anything else," I repeated in a monotone.

"I met a cute guy!" she exclaimed.

I raised my eyebrows. "Hey, good for you!"

"But I told him my name was Chastity and I go to North State..."

"Amber!"

"I've been blacklisted, Dani!" She shook her head in anger. "Your brother has blacklisted me!"

"There's no way he has that much control," I argued.

"Every guy fears and worships that ugly troll," she spat.

I gawked at her. "Need I remind you we're identical twins?"

Amber held up her hand to silence me. "It's not always about you, Dani." When we arrived at Penbrooke, Amber stopped her car. "Get out."

"Thanks," I murmured as I got out.

"Love you, bye!" She sped off leaving me absolutely confused by her mood change. How I had the energy to keep up with her I did not know.

I gave Niko a heads up that I was seeing James first, and off I went to his apartment. I excitedly stepped in and out of the elevator, and down the hall to his apartment. I knocked on the door and used those few seconds to pat down any flyaway hairs and look presentable. The door swung open, and my smile disappeared way too fast, giving me an odd sense of déjà vu.