[book 2] chapter eleven: the curious case of leila

"WHO ARE YOU?" The words flew out of my mouth before I could stop them

"Who's at the door?" James called out, stepping into view. When he saw me, he came over and graciously accepted the bag before peering inside it. "I hope there are no tomatoes."

"Of course there aren't any," I snapped.

He chuckled and kissed my cheek before saying, "You know me well."

"Oh my gosh, is this the girlfriend?" the girl who I had temporarily forgotten was still here asked.

James nodded, taking a bite from his burrito. "Dani, meet Leila," he said with his mouth full.

"You're just as pretty as James said you are," the Leila character said.

I forced a smile on my face. "And how do you two know each other?"

"Leila also works at the lab," James answered after swallowing his food.

She playfully smacked his chest. "I'm just a labmate?"

James rolled his eyes. "We're also old friends."

I found myself gripping the drinks tray a little harder than I should have. "That's nice."

"I should get going, but it was so nice meeting you." Leila held up the white fabric in her hand and smiled at James. "Thanks for lending me your spare lab coat."

He shook his head. "No worries, keep it."

"Thanks again. Goodnight, guys." She waved before stepping out of the apartment. It wasn't until she was out of sight did my grip loosen.

James sat on his couch as he continued devouring his dinner. "So what do you think of Leila?"

"She seems nice," I said through gritted teeth.

~*~

I woke up the next morning feeling groggier than usual. It took me forever to fall asleep, and by the time I did, I had knocked out. I stretched my arms over my head as I let out a yawn, letting my hands fall back on the bed, surprised they didn't make contact with James. I looked beside me to see he wasn't in bed, and in his place was a note. I picked up the yellow post-it note and rubbed my eyes before skimming it.

Didn't want to wake you but I have an early start. I left cinnamon buns in the kitchen. Let's meet up for lunch later.

-J

Perhaps it was because I was groggy, or maybe my lactose intolerance from yesterday's iced coffee was kicking in, but my stomach didn't feel so good. Instead of sticking around waiting for James, I decided to go home. I scribbled a message back on his note and called Amber to come and get me. Being the loyal friend she was, she made it to Penbrooke in an hour and a half.