[book 2] chapter fifteen: ring the bell, it's time for wedding planning hell

I STARED OUT the window as we zoomed past the nearby cars

I STARED OUT the window as we zoomed past the nearby cars. We exited off the highway, subbing in the many cars for trees instead. After my mortifying fiasco, we went back to James' apartment where I showered and changed into a Penbrooke t-shirt and sweatpants Brenton bought from the university gift shop. James asked to drive me home to talk, so Brenton and Alex stayed behind with Niko, who actually ended up having a lot of fun with Alex. We were nearing the end of this agonizingly quiet drive but I still hadn't spoken to James.

"Well?" the aforementioned driver eventually said.

I didn't make eye contact as I continued looking outside the window, seeing the little shops we passed by. "You're the one who wanted to talk, not me."

From my peripheral vision, I could see James run his hand through his hair. "What's going on with you, Dani? Why are you mad at me?"

I didn't answer, which he saw as a sign to continue talking.

"You've been so hot and cold lately, and every time I talk to you I don't know which Dani to expect."

"How about Dani your girlfriend?" I refuted.

James pulled the car to a halt at a stop sign and looked at me momentarily before continuing to drive. "What do you mean?"

As much as I didn't want to talk about this, I figured I didn't really have much of a choice now. "You and Leila obviously have a lot of history, and I feel like she gets you better than I do. So yes, I'm mad, hell I'm furious because your ex-girlfriend understands you in a way I don't. Are you happy now?"

"Wow."

"That's it?" I snapped. "I tell you what's been eating at me and that's all you have to say?"

James shook his head. "You really waited until we reached your house to finally open up to me." Much to my surprise, we were turning into my street. James parked his car on the side of the road next to my house and he turned to face me and held my hands in his, rubbing his thumb over the silver promise ring on my finger. "Dani, I like Leila a lot, but just as a friend. You, on the other hand, no matter how impulsive and stupid you can be, I'm in love with. So don't think for a second that anyone could ever replace you because that's impossible."

Did I feel like an idiot? Yes. But did I also feel like a lovestruck girl who realized she had an incredible boyfriend who loved her deeply? Also yes. Although I still felt like an idiot.

"Are we okay?" James asked, bringing me out of my daze. "Because I really want to kiss you."

I rolled my eyes at him. "God, I've made such an idiot of myself, haven't I?"

"I mean, it could've been worse." When his voice went an octave higher at the end of his sentence I knew he was lying.

"At least no one was recording or took pictures," I thought aloud. "I'm just going to pretend like that never happened."