[book 1] chapter thirty: the other new neighbour

WITHIN THE SPAN of a week I had learned that the art of being nonchalant was a specialty I did not possess in the slightest

WITHIN THE SPAN of a week I had learned that the art of being nonchalant was a specialty I did not possess in the slightest. I knew James was catching on that there was something off with me and the menstruation excuse could only be used so much. It was simply a matter of time before he pieced it together and figured out I knew. Until then I had to draw as little attention to myself as possible.

    Now that it was common knowledge James quit his job, we had a lot more free time to spend together which I would have loved in any other situation aside from this one. I really did enjoy hanging out with him, but whenever I looked at James or thought of him, all that would flood through my head was that he was doing drug deliveries again, and I was dating a felon. 

    Well, breaking into his house and destroying his motorcycle weren't exactly legal either but this was different. If James got caught not only would he go to prison, but he wouldn't get to attend college in the fall, and he'd destroy the relationship he finally mended with Helena after so long. I planned to stand by him no matter what, though personally, I'd prefer if the guy I was dating wasn't behind bars.

    "Dani?"

    I snapped out of my daze.

    "Weren't you listening?"

    "Amber," I said very slowly, hoping my words would resonate with her. "You're talking about your date with my brother. Sorry I'm not the most receptive."

    She grimaced. "Sorry, should I stop?"

    I shook my head. "What kind of best friend would I be if I didn't hear about your romantic life?"

    She threw her arms around my neck and squeezed the life out of me. "I love you so much!"

    "Save those words for my brother," I teased.

    "Shut up!" She smacked my arm before beaming at me. "Dani, the date was perfect. Brent was such a gentleman too! We watched a movie, he bought me dinner, and then he asked me to be his girlfriend!"

    I pretended to be surprised. "You're kidding! What did you say?"

    "Yes, of course!" Her smile faltered. "If that's alright with you."

    I had to refrain from smacking her upside the head. "Of course that's alright with me, stupid. I want you to be happy."

    Cue another bone shattering hug from her. "You're the bestest friend ever!"

    "I'm pretty sure that's not a real—"

    "Just shut up and appreciate the moment."

    I chuckled as I hugged her back. I was beyond appalled that anyone saw anything remotely attractive in my twin, but if Amber was happy then I was as well. She and Brenton together was something I was going to have to learn to live with.