[book 2] chapter thirty-two: my boyfriend meets my dad

I OPENED MY mouth and James put a forkful of fruit salad in it

I OPENED MY mouth and James put a forkful of fruit salad in it. I munched on the mixture of berries, oranges, and kiwis, closing my eyes in content. James finished work early today so we were hanging out on my living room couch while I filled him in on what he had missed recently.

"So you two aren't speaking anymore?" he confirmed after I had finished telling him about the situation with Holden.

I shook my head. "No."

"Because he's still in love with you?"

"Yes."

"And that's why we can't get burgers from the café?"

"Exactly."

"Wow."

I took the fruit bowl out of his hands and set it down, glancing up at him in concern. "Are you mad?"

"No." His stomach grumbled. "Just hungry."

I scoffed. "Come on, there are tons of other food options than the café."

"Yeah, but none as good," he moped.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "You should be thrilled Holden's out of my life."

James grinned, exposing his dimple. "Believe me, I am. I'm just trying to play the considerate boyfriend role."

I playfully shoved him. "You're annoying."

He put his arm around me and pulled me into him.

"By the way," I started. "Brent doesn't know so let's keep it that way."

He furrowed his eyebrows as he looked down at me. "Why does it matter? I'm not killing Holden, why would he?"

Did he remember nothing of my brother's temper? "Need I remind you that your face just finished healing?"

"Okay, shutting up now," he said under his breath. James' phone suddenly rang, and I reached across the couch to see who it was. Upon seeing Leila's name pop up on his screen, I declined the call for him. "I wasn't going to answer that anyway," he testified.

"Good." I snuggled into his chest, throwing my arm over his torso. I missed moments like these where James and I could be together with nothing but peace and...

The front door —which I had totally forgotten to lock— swung open and Amber barged in. 

"Sure, come in," James grumbled, annoyed that someone was interrupting our rare alone time.

"Where is he?" she seethed.

"Who?" I asked.

"Brenton," she snarled.

"Oh, we're saying his first name now?" James mused aloud. I had told him before how the two of them refused to address each other by name.

Amber stared daggers at him. "I don't care that you're my best friend's boyfriend, I will kill you."