[book 2] chapter thirty-five: my tires get slashed

WHEN I SLIPPED inside the house, I wasn't expecting to be cornered by my mother

WHEN I SLIPPED inside the house, I wasn't expecting to be cornered by my mother. She had a glass of wine in her hand, still dressed in yesterday's clothes. When she saw me walk in, she set her glass down and came charging at me. I was expecting her to yell, but I was pleasantly and disturbingly surprised when she hugged me. I was frozen in place, unsure of what to do, before I slowly hugged her back.

"I shouldn't have reacted the way I did," she said after we broke the hug.

I shook my head, guilt rushing through me. "I've been lying to you all summer. I'm the one at fault."

Her painted red lips curved downwards. "I know you were only withholding the truth because you feared my punishment." When I didn't deny it, she continued speaking. "It's my fault for creating an environment where my own children are too scared to be honest."

"I'm sorry," I told her truthfully.

She brushed my hair out of my face and behind my ear. "He's your father, and it isn't fair of me to push my agenda on you four."

"What does that mean?"

She retracted her hand and took in a deep breath. "If you want him in your life then I won't stand in the way."

"About that..." I offered her a sheepish look. "Alex may have already met him."

"Daniella!"

"Remember, honesty?" I tried with a nervous smile.

Mom sighed. "If Alexander wishes to see him I won't stand in the way." She paused. "Although there is someone else you need to talk to."

"Oh, boy," I murmured.

She offered a tight-lipped smile. "He's only mean because he loves you."

"That's the worst part, Mom."

She gave me my cell phone back and let me go so I could speak to Brenton. He wasn't in his bedroom so I went down to the basement. There was a handwritten sign on the door that read, NO DANIS WELCOMED.

Real mature.

I ripped off the sign before walking downstairs to find him lounging on a recliner, watching a movie on his laptop. I sat beside him but he paid no attention as he continued watching his movie. I tried nudging him, but it didn't work. I reached over to pause his movie, and he still didn't react and instead quietly stared at the frozen screen. Hoping to stir a reaction from him, I opened his mini-fridge and grabbed the last bottle of his favourite pre-made cookies and cream protein shake. I unscrewed the cap and took a sip, trying to hide my disgusted reaction. What the hell was in this? Still, he chose not to react.

Out of ideas, I turned on my cell phone and pretended to dial a number. "Hey, Amber," I spoke into the phone, watching out of the corner of my eye as he turned his head to me. "Yeah, you can definitely come over. See you in ten!"