[book 1] chapter twenty-eight: ignorance is bliss

AFTER THE ATROCIOUS revelation of Brenton and Amber, I practically sprinted to my room to tell James what had happened

AFTER THE ATROCIOUS revelation of Brenton and Amber, I practically sprinted to my room to tell James what had happened. I sat by my window for nearly an hour but he was nowhere to be found. I took out my cell phone and sent him a quick text to ask about his whereabouts. No less than a minute later did my phone vibrate with his reply.

    On my way to my mom's for the weekend.

    I smiled at his message, glad he was spending more time with Helena. She was a sweet woman and it was evident they both really loved each other. I didn't want to intrude on their family time so I made a mental note not to bother him for the rest of the weekend. 

    Since I had nothing better to do I went downstairs, instantly regretting that when I saw Mom and Brenton in the kitchen speaking in hushed voices. What was with these people and having private conversations in the kitchen? I cleared my voice upon entry so I wouldn't get accused of eavesdropping and the two of them jumped. Both of them avoided my gaze which further increased my suspicions.

    I narrowed my eyes. "What is it?"

    "Nothing," Brenton replied a bit too quickly. When he saw my hard look he dropped the act. "Dad called."

    I felt my throat go dry. "What?"

    Mom sighed and it wasn't until now that I noticed her. For a woman who usually kept herself put together she looked like a complete mess. Her usually perfectly curled hair was messy from what I presumed to be her angrily running her hands through it, her suit was wrinkly and her worry lines were more prominent than ever.

    "He wants to see you kids," she said without making eye contact.

    "When?" I asked eagerly, earning the stink eye from my twin. 

    I wanted to hate Dad for everything he did but I just couldn't find it in myself. All I had ever wanted the last five years was to be a family again. When Dad was here we were all a lot happier, and my relationship with Mom didn't deteriorate until after he left. I was hoping if he entered our lives again we could go back to being happy. Alex was too young to remember and Niko and Brenton hated him, but I knew once we all got together they'd realize just how much they loved and missed Dad. I was certain of it.

    Mom finally looked up and I saw the pain in her eyes which made me feel bad, but at the same time, he was my father. I shouldn't have had to felt guilty about missing my father. "The choice is yours if you all want to see him."

    Brenton's typically laidback composure was anything but. He was standing straight, his jaw clenched and his arms folded across his chest. "I don't want to see that bastard," he spat. In any other situation Mom would've scolded him for using that word but this time she didn't say anything.

    "Come on," I encouraged.

    "Do whatever you want but I want nothing to do with him. And I'm not letting Alex go anywhere near that dick."