[book 1] chapter eighteen: so it begins

I WOKE UP the next morning feeling better than I had in months, maybe even years

I WOKE UP the next morning feeling better than I had in months, maybe even years. I sat up in bed and stretched my arms, a smile on my face. As soon as my eyes fluttered open my little fantasy died. I sucked in a deep breath as I observed my surroundings. This most certainly was not my bedroom. Memories of last night came flooding into my head and although I wanted to spend the rest of my morning celebrating that James and I made up, I was too fixated with more pressing matters like how the hell I was supposed to get out of here. 

    I glanced beside me but James wasn't in bed. I felt my heartbeat accelerating out of panic. James was nowhere to be found but I couldn't waste my time looking for him when I had to get back to my bedroom. I contemplated taking the stairs and walking to my house, but I would definitely get caught and that wouldn't end well. The only other option I had was... 

    I gulped as I looked at the window. It was my only chance of making it home without getting caught. Carefully, I walked over to James' window and I opened it. I hoisted myself up, sticking one leg out and then the other. Trying to recall how I got out last night, I stretched my left leg to my windowsill before bringing my right leg over. Luckily I didn't fall to my doom and I managed to land safely. Just as I was about to step inside my room, there was a knock on my door.

    "Are you still in bed?" Alex said from the other side. "You're gonna be late for school." As if in slow motion, the doorknob began to turn. I scrambled to get the rest of me inside, but it was no use. Alex barged inside just as I fell in. He looked at me with wide eyes, but a mischievous grin soon took over his face. "Looks like someone was busy last night," he said with a giggle.

    I rushed to my feet and I looked at him solemnly. "Please don't tell anyone."

    "You know my price," he said before walking out. Great. I had to take him to Holden's family's diner. Just great.

~*~

    Since I was running late due to the unexpected outcomes of last night, I didn't have much time to get ready. The only difference from my attire last night was that I swapped my shorts for a pair of jeans. Aside from that, I looked like I had just woken up. I snatched a granola bar from the kitchen and I was on my way out when I bumped into Brenton. 

    "I thought you left already," he said in an attempt to make conversation. "I'm waiting for Mike. He's not really punctual."

    I gave him a dry look. "Fascinating."

    "Dani," he said before I could leave. "I'm so sorry."

    "So I've heard."

    "I had a talk with Niko," Brenton said, prompting me to raise my eyebrows in anticipation. "He told me off." I refrained from smiling at that. Niko was the best. "What I did was wrong and out of line and you didn't deserve any of that. I'm sorry, Dan."