[book 2] chapter ten: off to penbrooke

"YOU'RE AN IDIOT," was how I greeted my twin when Holden lugged him in the next morning

"YOU'RE AN IDIOT," was how I greeted my twin when Holden lugged him in the next morning. It turned out after my awkward encounter with Holden last night, Brenton showed up at his house at 2 o'clock in the morning. Holden had texted me this morning explaining the situation and how he was going to bring my moronic brother home.

Brenton pushed past us to go to his bedroom. "Screw off, Daniella."

My eyebrows shot up in surprise but Holden simply shook his head. "He's just mad I told you." He patted my brother's back in consolation. "Be happy I called her and not Amber."

"You can screw off too, Giuseppe."

"Family name," Holden said instantly before I could make any jokes.

"Goodnight, assholes." Brenton slammed his bedroom door shut, leaving me in the hallway with Holden.

"So..." he started.

"I'll see you later," I dismissed. I was about to retreat back to my bedroom when it crossed my mind that these bozos probably drove back here in my car. "How are you getting home?"

He stuffed his hands in his pockets. "I can walk."

Although I seriously didn't want to, I knew I couldn't let him walk home. "Come on," I said with a sigh as I headed for the staircase. "I'll drive you home."

"But your licence..."

"Shut it, Giuseppe."

Surprisingly, he did as I said and we quietly went outside and got into the car. I started the engine and reversed out of the driveway before beginning the familiar route to the Rollins' residence.

"So what happens if you get caught?" Holden asked after a few minutes of silence.

I didn't spare him a glance as I continued driving. "Okay, narc."

"Speaking of narcs, Brent told me about your mom's boyfriend." Holden waited to see my reaction before continuing. "I can't blame him for the way he acted, you know. Your mom should have given you guys a warning first."

I nodded my head in agreement. Holden was absolutely right. Mom should have consulted us before getting involved with Adam... Then again, that was the whole reason Niko was upset. I supposed we didn't have a right to choose who Mom or Niko dated. I pulled into Holden's driveway and unlocked the car.

Holden was about to get out, but he stopped and turned to face me. "About last night, I'm really sorry. After Maya, I've just been so deprived and—"

"Okay, that's enough!"

His cheeks turned pink. "Sorry."

"Apology accepted, but do me a favour and don't tell Brent," I said. I could not live with the embarrassment if he found out.

Holden nodded. "Are we good?"

"Get out of my car, Rollins."

He chuckled. "I'll see you around, Parker."