[book 1] chapter thirty-five: breakups & makeups

"GET OUT

"GET OUT." THE words left my mouth before I could even register what I was saying. I remembered too vividly how our conversation went down last night. I told him I loved him and he brushed my confession off like it was nothing. How stupid did I have to be to fall so hard for a guy who wanted nothing to do with me?

    Instead of listening to my humble request, James stood in place, leaning against the doorway as he crossed his arms over his chest. "I'm not going anywhere until we talk."

    "What's there to talk about?"

    His face was emotionless but I knew he was getting annoyed. "Don't act dumb. Why the hell did you go yesterday?"

    I turned away from him as much as I could in my cramped up bed, though my feeble attempt didn't make much of a difference. "I told you why." Was he really going to make me say it again? Getting rejected once was more than enough for me.

    "You could have died. If I wasn't there..." He paused. "You would have been dead. Or worse."

    "I'm not your responsibility, so why do you care?" I spat.

    "I still care about you," he said in a steady tone.

    "Then why did you leave?"

    "Why was your dad here?" he asked, changing the topic.

    "Answer my question."

    "What did he want from you?"

    I was just about ready to rip off my hair. "It doesn't matter. Why did you come?"

    "You risked your life for me. The least I could do was make sure you were okay," he answered nonchalantly.

    "No." I turned to look at James, and he blinked in surprise from my harsh glare. "The least you could have done was fight for us instead of running away the first chance you got."

    "It's more complicated than that," he said.

    "Don't bullshit me," I scoffed.

    "I never meant to hurt you."

    Too little too late because he already did. James had hurt me in ways I didn't even know I could hurt. "You don't love me the way I love you and it's fine, I get it. I don't expect anything in return, I just wanted to help you. So if you're here out of pity or guilt then just leave because I don't need anything from you."

    "Dani..."

    I raised my hand to silence him. "Don't come in here and try to act all innocent. You broke my heart more than once which is hilarious considering you thought it'd be the other way around." I laughed dryly before pulling my expression back to a straight face. "You can go back to blocking my number and pretending I don't exist because you're dead to me."