[book 2] chapter twenty-five: literal heartache

THE BARBECUE WAS now in full swing

THE BARBECUE WAS now in full swing. Mom, Adam, and the engaged couple were sitting on the patio chairs talking about wedding details, Alex and Hailey were hitting it off, and Brenton, Holden, and I were scarfing down our second rounds of burgers as we spied on the two teenagers. I was focusing so intently I almost didn't notice when a new figure entered the backyard.

"I hope I'm not too late," my boyfriend said, holding up a bottle of wine as a peace offering. Mom and I went to greet him at the same time, me with a kiss, and her by graciously accepting the bottle.

"Where's your shadow?" I asked him.

He shoved his hands inside his pockets. "After our movie date, I decided it was better she didn't come. You were right, we only see each other for a limited time and it's not fair to you if I bring her."

I smiled and got on my tiptoes to kiss him, but that was halted when his phone rang. Judging by the guilty look on his face, I knew who was calling. "It's probably about the lab," he justified. "Can I take it?"

I forced a smile on my face. Although I was annoyed, he did come without her and I was happy about that. "Sure."

I returned back to Brenton and Holden, and I finished eating my food as we watched Alex and Hailey. It was equally cute as it was awkward to see Alex falling head over heels for her. He grinned dorkily as she spoke, and he stared at her with dreamy eyes. I was so used to seeing the way my twin treated girls like disposable objects, so it was a nice change to see Alex lovestruck.

"Looks like he's getting that first kiss sooner than later," Brenton mused aloud.

Holden spat his drink right back into his cup. "That's not happening on my watch." 

He was about to stand up, but I put my hand on his shoulder, forcing him to stay put. "They're just kids. Besides, Alex is nothing like Brent," I offered.

"Oh, thank God."

Brenton gawked at him. "The hell's that supposed to mean?"

I locked eyes with James ahead who appeared to have finished his call, and he didn't look too pleased to see me sitting next to Holden. I rolled my eyes and left the idiot boys behind to go join my boyfriend. I walked up to him and interlaced my fingers in his. "Don't worry, I'm all yours."

"That guy's a leech," James grumbled. "I can't come here without seeing him."

I gave him a flat look. "If you keep being jealous you won't get to swim in the pool with me while everyone else is asleep."

He didn't seem too intrigued by that. "Swim in the pool with you?"

I leaned in and pressed my lips against his ear. "Naked."

I tried to suppress my laugh when his cheeks reddened. "Oh."

"Come on, let's get you something to eat." I pulled his arm towards the food table, but James wouldn't move. He was looking at his phone, and of course, it was ringing again.