[book 1] chapter two: new neighbour

"ALRIGHT, IT'S OFFICIAL

"ALRIGHT, IT'S OFFICIAL. I'm in love with both of your brothers."

My foot slammed on the brake pedal, making the car pull to an abrupt halt.

"Dani, what the hell?"

"Don't say repulsive things like that when I'm driving!"

"Sorry."

"Thank you," I breathed in relief. I lightly tapped the gas pedal and my car accelerated forward, basking in the peaceful silence. Of course, that didn't last long.

"Imagine they weren't your brothers, and you had to pick one—"

"Amber!"

"Right, sorry."

"Fantasize about Niko or Brent once more, and I will kick you out right now."

"Where is Brenton anyway?"

I slowed down the car and turned into Amber's street. "He has lacrosse practice."

"Don't you have to pick up Alex?"

"Niko said he would." I pulled my car into her driveway. "That'll be twenty bucks."

"Funny," she said dryly. "Want to come inside?"

I tapped my fingers against the steering wheel. "Can't. Mom wants us all home for dinner."

Amber raised an eyebrow as she slung her bag over her shoulder. "To talk about campaigning stuff, I presume?"

"Don't even get me started. I can't wait until this stupid election is over."

"I should let you get going." She opened the car door and stepped outside. "You're coming to the party tomorrow right?"

"Like hell I am."

"Please, Dani?"

"Bye, Amber."

~*~

I placed my backpack on the couch, and I made a beeline for the kitchen. Mom was going to be home in an hour, and by the smell of it, dinner was nonexistent. With Mom extra swamped at work, she laid out strict expectations from us, with one of them being to prepare dinner every night.

"Dani?" Alex called out.

"In the kitchen!"

"Are you making dinner? I'm starving!"

I rummaged through the fridge in search of something to make. I couldn't even remember the last time anyone went grocery shopping. "Are you in the mood for some lasagna?"

Alex made a face. "You made that two days ago."

"Soup?"

"Yuck."