[book 1] chapter twenty-two: the search for my father

"COME ON," JAMES urged for the third time

"COME ON," JAMES urged for the third time. "Live a little."

    I narrowed my eyes at his metal deathtrap as I continued walking. "Something about driving to my demise isn't the most appealing."

    "It's not going to kill you," he scoffed. 

    For any onlookers, James probably looked like the biggest creep right now. While I was walking to school since my mom took my jeep, he trailed beside me on his motorcycle as he tried to convince me to ride with him.

    "If you keep bothering me I'm going to scream that this is a kidnap attempt," I warned.

    James simply rolled his eyes. "Come on, Dani, I know you're not actually—"

    "Help!" I screeched as if my life depended on it. "This man is trying to..." My voice trailed off when James zoomed past me, clearly not willing to stay for the rest of my show. I was actually pleased since this granted me some time alone, but that was short-lived when I got to school. Much to my misfortune, James was waiting for me at the doors, a bored look on his face.

    "If you're going to walk to school then at least walk a little faster."

    "Sorry my struggle's an inconvenience," I said sarcastically.

    "You were in a good mood yesterday, what the hell happened?"

    "Nothing," I dismissed. I opened the door to get inside the building, but James slammed it shut before I could enter.

    "What happened to honesty, Daniella?" I winced upon hearing my name, the cursed name giving me flashbacks to yesterday. James noticed this because he looked at me worriedly. "I repeat, what the hell happened?"

    Seeing that I didn't have much of a choice, I retold him yesterday's occurrences while conveniently omitting the part where I told my mom I hated her and made a makeshift dartboard in my bedroom using her campaigning poster. The guy just made up with his mom that he hadn't seen in forever, I couldn't be selfish and whine about my mommy problems when at least I was living with mine.

    "We'll find him," James said when I finished. "Your father, we'll find him."

    "And how do you plan on doing that, smart ass?"

    He smirked. "Well, you said it yourself. I'm a smart ass, I'll figure it out."

~*~

    After school, I walked home while James took his bike, and we planned to meet and discuss how to go about this mission. Since my birth giver was a heartless tyrant, she put me on house arrest indefinitely but it wasn't like she could actually check whether or not I was home since she was always absent herself. It was my first day of lockdown so I didn't want to take the gamble of her making a surprise visit therefore I went straight home. James and I discussed through our open windows though it wasn't the same as physically being with him.