[book 2] chapter thirty-seven: i rescue two drunkards

WE FOUND BRENTON outside in the parking lot, sitting on a curb

"What's wrong?" Niko asked as we approached him. "I thought dinner was going really well."

"I know."

Niko glanced at me, confusion on his face, before looking back at Brenton. "So what's the issue?"

Brenton slowly stood up. "I can't let him back into my life. I'm trying hard not to, but..." He choked on his sentence as he held back tears.

"Hey, it's okay, man." Niko extended a hand, but Brenton slapped it away.

He looked down at the ground to avoid eye contact. "You don't understand."

Dad, Alex, and Holden came outside to see what was going on. Niko retreated, so I approached my twin, but he stopped me before I could get close. "I don't think that's a good idea."

Ignoring Niko, I went up to Brenton and grabbed his face, forcing him to look at me. "I know you feel like you have to be the tough one and protect us all, but since Dad left that's all you've done. Whether it's your overprotectiveness, your anger, or even your stupid cape, your only purpose isn't to save us from all of the hurt and pain in this world."

He tore his gaze away, but it was too late. I already saw the tear.

"You're my best friend too, idiot," I continued. "Your whole life you've looked out for me, so as your best friend, let me look out for you."

When Dad joined us, I stepped to the side to give him space. "When Dani told me you were willing to see me, it felt like I was getting a second chance at being a parent. Nothing will ever forgive or justify what I've done but I promise to be there in every way that I can." He sighed. "I know it'll take time and I don't expect you to even like me anytime soon, but I just want you to know that this time, I'm not leaving."

That was the final straw for Brenton. After years of bottling up his feelings and being the tough one, he finally let them all out. His whole body wracked as he sobbed, years' worth of sadness, anger, and pain, all flooding out at once. At that moment, all I could see was the little boy whose father left too soon.

Brenton looked up at our dad and hugged him, taking us all by surprise. Dad hugged him back, and by the way he was shaking, I could tell he was also crying.

I wiped a stray tear from under my eye as I watched their heartfelt reunion. I felt Niko's presence next to me as he put his arm around my shoulders, and I rested my head against his chest.

"Not bad, Little D. Not bad."

~*~

Some time had passed since our reunion with Dad and although my brothers didn't mention him in front of Mom, I knew they were all happy to have him back in our lives. While Alex and I saw him almost every other day, Niko called him once a week, and Brenton... Well, he was taking baby steps.