[book 2] chapter twenty-one: blackout

"LUCILLE

"LUCILLE... DON'T TURN around," the person in the movie said.

I shoved a handful of popcorn in my mouth as I stared at the screen. "Lucille, don't be a dumb bitch," I murmured.

The music sped up as the Lucille character slowly turned around. There was nothing behind her so I let out a sigh of relief and ate more popcorn. She turned around and the killer was standing in front of her. 

"Lame," I muttered, already anticipating that twist. Out of nowhere, something grabbed my shoulder from behind and I let out a blood-curdling shriek.

"You should've seen your face!" Alex cackled from behind me.

"Alexander," Mom said in a warning tone as she walked past us, not sparing a glance as she buttoned up her blazer.

I paused the movie and turned to face them. "Are you going somewhere?"

Mom tapped away at her phone and nodded her head. "I'm off to a conference for the weekend and Alexander is going to a sleepover. Adam is on his way since he will be joining me, and we're going to drop off your brother before we leave."

"Drive safe," I told her. "There's a huge thunderstorm warning today." The rain had already started a couple of hours ago, and it was coming down hard.

"No parties," Mom told me sternly.

"You're talking to the wrong child," I scoffed. The door suddenly opened and Brenton walked in with a keg, proving my point.

"I'll take that," Mom said as she took the keg from him and set it down. "Alexander, sweetheart, bring this outside." She picked up her briefcase and walked out the front door.

"Could you get any stupider?" Alex grumbled as he lugged his duffel bag and the keg outside.

"This is why you're going to die a virgin!" Brenton yelled after him. I rolled my eyes at them and resumed the movie. Brenton clearly didn't get the memo that I wanted to be left alone and he started talking to me. "What are your plans for today?"

"Take a wild guess." After my fight with James, I had been trying to find any distraction to get my mind off of him. My latest fix was horror movies, and they were doing a pretty decent job I couldn't lie.

"I can think of a better person to occupy your time than those crappy actors," Brenton said.

"Leave me alone."

Brenton ushered someone in and Niko entered the living room, a smile on his face. "Surprise."

I paused my movie to look at him, the remote in my hand. "What are you doing here?"

"I just picked them up," Brenton said with a grin.

My eyebrows shot up in curiosity. "Them?" Niko stepped to the side to reveal James. My jaw dropped and so did the remote in my hand, landing in the popcorn bowl, and I was frozen in my seat.