[book 2] chapter two: i become a convicted felon

"FOR THE LAST time, he's our brother!" Brenton smacked his handcuffed hands against the table, annoyance etched on his face

"Based on Officer Shaw's report, we have reason to believe this child was—"

"He wasn't," I cut the officer off. Brenton and I were currently handcuffed and locked in the interrogation room with a cop who was certain we kidnapped Alex. As for the aforementioned moron? Well, he was nowhere in sight.

The officer let out a sigh as she skimmed through the documents in her hands. "Do you two have any motive for kidnapping the child? Is he a friend, enemy, relative?" She used her fingers to list the possibilities.

Brenton and I shot each other miffed looks. Didn't she hear a word we said? While I was about to make an underhanded comment about this cop being the most unqualified bozo in the building, my twin had other plans. He abruptly stood up, ignoring the warning look I was giving him.

"Look, lady, are we getting charged with something?"

Both, the cop and me, were taken aback by his bluntness.

She shook her head slowly. "Not yet. But once we have all of the details, then..."

"In that case, uncuff us so we can leave. If we're not being charged we don't have to be here."

"Sir, I don't think..."

"Did I forget to mention our mother is a lawyer, who I'm sure will not be thrilled that you're detaining her three children?"

"Sir, you need to sit down or I will call the sheriff," the cop warned.

"Oh, the sheriff? I'm shitting my pants," he deadpanned. "Uncuff us, or I won't hesitate to take your sorry ass to—"

"Brenton!" I cut him off before he could get us in more trouble.

He opened his mouth to speak, but we were interrupted when the door to the interrogation room swung open. It was the dick cop who pulled us over.

"They're free to go."

The other cop raised her eyebrows. "Are you sure, Officer Shaw?"

"The kid confirmed they're his siblings." He jutted his chin to his side where Alex stood, an ice cream sandwich in his hands.

"Alex!" I exclaimed as the other officer undid my handcuffs. "Why didn't you say anything sooner?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "I wanted ice cream."

"You little shit," Brenton spat. "When I get my hands on you, I swear I'll pummel your—"

"He's joking!" I cut him off, not wanting to risk staying here longer.

Officer Shaw nodded his head. "You're free to go." He paused. "Just as soon as I confirm your licence and registration."

"Thank God," Brenton murmured beside me. "I thought he was going to make us do a breathalyzer test."