[book 2] chapter thirty-eight: brenton's dirty little secret

AS SOON AS I woke up, I spam called Amber until she picked up

"Can't a hungover girl be left alone in peace?" she whined as she answered.

"What the hell happened last night?"

"I was just feeling low and wanted to get my mind off of things, okay?"

I frowned even though she couldn't see me. "Why didn't you call me?"

"Hmm, let me think..." Sarcasm oozed out of her words. "Something about moping to my best friend about her brother felt kind of weird."

"What happened between you guys?" I pressed. "I know he didn't dump you."

There was a slight pause. "Look, I don't know what I said to you yesterday, but I wasn't in the right state of mind."

"Amber, that's not a..." My eyes widened when I remembered I was harbouring a certain Holden Rollins in my bedroom. "Let me call you back."

I hung up and got off of the floor to find my bed was empty and Holden was gone. When the doorbell suddenly rang, I sprinted down the stairs.

"You look like shit," Brenton remarked when he saw me.

"Really? I thought I looked like you."

He shook his head. "Not your best work. Did you wake up on the wrong side of your bed this morning?"

"As a matter of fact, yes I did."

Brenton and I reached the front door at the same time and he swung the front door open to reveal Holden.

"I bring bagels." He thrusted a paper bag into Brenton's arms, who got distracted by the items in the bag and scurried off to the kitchen.

"What are you doing?" I hissed.

Holden blinked in surprise. "I came with breakfast, obviously. That's why my car is parked outside your house."

I narrowed my eyes at him but I didn't say more. It was a pretty decent cover-up coming from him. We walked past the living room, where Alex was busy on a video call. When he saw us, he quickly hung up, probably to avoid having that awkward conversation when Holden discovered who Alex had been spending his time with.

"Hey, little buddy," Holden greeted cheerily.

Alex eyed him suspiciously. "Good morning, Holden."

"Was he always that weird?" Holden murmured as we walked to the kitchen.

"I never noticed," I lied.

We sat at the dining table while Brenton was munching away on the bagels. I took a four-cheese bagel out of the bag and nibbled on it. I tuned in and out of their conversation as I devoured my second bagel, not realizing how hungry I was.

"There's a lacrosse social happening tomorrow night," Holden said to Brenton. "Want to go?"

"I don't know," my brother admitted.