[book 2] chapter thirteen: dani parker, city councillor

AFTER THE ENGAGED couple's shocking announcement, Mom left to go pick up paperwork from her office, or so she claimed, while the rest of us stayed home

AFTER THE ENGAGED couple's shocking announcement, Mom left to go pick up paperwork from her office, or so she claimed, while the rest of us stayed home. Brenton and Alex were playing a stupid zombie murderer video game with each other in the living room while the rest of us sat on the couches in silence.

"You guys are going to help us plan the wedding, right?" Niko asked warily. At this rate, I was sure the boy would be sprouting grey hairs within the week with how stressed he had been.

"Of course we will," I assured him.

Brenton paused the game to look at me. "Who's we?"

I gave him a stern look. "Are you really trying to go down there, Wilhelm?"

He rolled his eyes. "Fine."

Alex glanced between us confusedly. "Why do you always give in?" he asked Brenton.

"Don't test Dani," Brenton whispered loud enough for us to hear. "She's crazy."

I grabbed the nearby remote and threw it at his head.

Brenton dropped his controller to protect his face, narrowly missing the remote. "See, I told you!"

Ignoring my idiot brothers, I smiled at Niko and Vanessa. "Don't worry, we've got your backs."

"You don't understand how much this means to me," Vanessa said. "With Daddy in Barbados, all of the planning pressure is on us."

"Her dad is also getting married," Niko piped in. "For the fourth time..."

Vanessa shot him an unamused look. "Keep this up, and I'll be looking for my second husband quite soon."

The more I got to know Vanessa, the more I was beginning to think she would fit in with us just fine.

~*~

"Daniella?"

"Five more minutes."

"Goodness, Daniella!"

"Three more minutes."

"Daniella Evangeline Parker, get up this instant!"

Slowly, I opened my eyes, blinking a couple of times to adjust to the sunlight. God, why was the sun so damn bright? I stretched my arms above my head, letting out a yelp when I saw my mom standing at the foot of the bed. At least this time I didn't have a half-naked boy under the covers with me.

"What time is it?" I groaned.

"Your first day has hardly begun and you're already late," Mom chastised. "I left clothes for you in the bathroom. Be showered and dressed in ten minutes."

Crap, I forgot about the stupid job.

I hobbled out of bed and stumbled to the bathroom, dreading the day that awaited me. Alex was already inside brushing his teeth so I dragged him by his ear out, locking the door behind me. I simultaneously brushed my teeth and showered before changing into the clothes Mom left for me. Hideous couldn't even begin to describe this trash. It was downright atrocious. I changed into the white blouse and matching magenta blazer and skirt, not even bothering to look at my reflection. I didn't need a mirror to confirm what I already knew: these clothes were a fashion disaster. I rapidly applied my makeup and tied my damp hair into a bun. I grabbed my cell phone off of my nightstand and went downstairs to see Mom waiting for me in the front foyer.