[book 1] chapter seventeen: the cold shoulder

I ENTERED THE house as quietly as I could and I tiptoed to the stairs

I ENTERED THE house as quietly as I could and I tiptoed to the stairs. My attempt to be stealthy didn't last too long when the lights suddenly turned on. 

    "Where have you been?" Mom stepped forward. She was still dressed in her work clothes, a glass of white wine in her hand.

    "I was out."

    "I got an interesting call from Holden's father. You broke his nose?"

    I rolled my eyes. "He deserved it."

    "How many times do I have to tell you that violence isn't the answer?"

    "What about when Brenton beat up James at school?" I refuted.

    Mom's eyes widened at the newfound information, but that only amplified her anger towards me. "I told you nicely not to see James anymore."

    "Nicely?" I laughed dryly. "You forbade me."

    "Yet you didn't listen." She paused. "As of this moment, if you wish to live under my roof you can't speak to, look at, or even think of James. Understood?"

    I looked at her incredulously. "You're ridiculous."

    "Don't talk back to me, Daniella. Understood?" Mom yelled. Her change in tone took me by surprise. Mom never yelled. She had many questionable traits, but no matter what she always kept her composure...until now.

    "It all makes sense now."

    She raised her eyebrows. "Excuse me?"

    "There's a reason Dad left and now I know what the reason was." I looked her in the eyes. "You."

    A range of emotions flashed through her eyes, but no words came out. I didn't want to waste another second of my time with her, so I turned around and went upstairs to my room. I slammed my door shut and fell onto my bed. I chomped hard on my lower lip to keep my tears at bay. First Holden messed things up with James and me, and now this? Sometimes it seemed like the world purposely tried to ruin anything good in my life. 

    On that happy note, I forced myself to sleep, already anticipating a night without slumber.

                        ~*~

    "Hey."

    Without a response, I shut my locker door and turned to face Amber. She opened her arms and I fell right into her embrace, letting her warmth consume me. I texted her everything that happened last night in hopes she could cheer me up.

    "How are you feeling?" she asked.

    I shrugged. "Like absolute shit."

    We started walking to our biology class. "Are you sure you want to go today?"