[book 1] chapter ten: i bunk with a psychopath

THE TENSION WAS so thick in here I could cut it with a knife

THE TENSION WAS so thick in here I could cut it with a knife. Speaking of knives, I couldn't remember where I left the steak knife during what I thought was a home intrusion. That was probably the least of Mom's concerns right now though. For the first time all evening, she finally spoke. 

    "When did this happen?"

    Niko cleared his throat nervously. "A few days ago."

    "And you're just telling me now?"

    "We wanted to wait until we could tell you in person," Monica answered.

    Mom looked at her with distaste. "I wasn't talking to you." 

    Monica slumped in her seat and Niko looked like he was biting his tongue to stop himself from saying something to Mom. Brenton, however, seemed to be enjoying this. He helped himself to another slice of pie as he watched eagerly, waiting for someone to lift a hand. 

    "Why are you home on a Thursday?" Mom continued.

    "Monica doesn't have classes tomorrow, and my Friday lab was cancelled."

    Mom glanced at her watch. "It's getting late. You should think about heading back now."

    Niko looked confused and frankly, so was I. He just implied they'd be spending the night but I supposed Mom wanted no part in it. "We were going to stay for the weekend," he said.

    Mom took a sip from her glass of red wine. "You didn't run this by me, Nikolas."

    "We're going to sleep in my room."

    She almost choked on her drink. "That's not happening under my roof. You can sleep in your bedroom, Nikolas."

    He looked at her incredulously. "What about Monica?"

    "She can sleep with Daniella."

    "What?" Niko and I said in unison.

    "This is none of your business," Mom said to me dismissively.

    "If she's sleeping in my room then yeah, it kind of is!"

    "Don't use that tone with me. I've already had one child disappoint me." Mom abruptly stood up and left with her glass of wine.

    Brenton reached over and took her plate of uneaten pie. "Don't mind if I do."

    Alex simply rolled his eyes at his moronic older brother. "Read the room, genius."

                        ~*~

    "Dani, please!"

    "I don't see why you can't book a motel room or something." 

    I tried to shut my door but Niko pushed it open and came inside.