[book 2] chapter six: nothing rarer than a blissful dani

"DO YOU SEE that?" James pointed at a constellation in the sky

"DO YOU SEE that?" James pointed at a constellation in the sky. "That's Ursa Major. It's shaped like the hindquarters and tail of a bear."

After a hearty feast, we were laying on the picnic blanket looking up at the stars which my nerdy boyfriend took as an educational opportunity. I squinted my eyes at the constellation he was pointing at. "A bear? It looks kind of like a soup spoon."

He sat up and looked at me incredulously. "You mean a ladle?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "It resembles that more than a bear."

"You're ridiculous."

"Ridiculously irresistible?"

He smirked down at me. "I can't say I disagree." I pulled his face down to mine and kissed him. "I could get used to affectionate Dani," he joked.

"Pull another disappearing stunt like this on me and you'll see bitchy Dani," I threatened.

"You're always bitchy," he corrected. Had anyone else said that I would have bitten their head off, but instead I laughed. He cupped my cheek as he looked at me with so much love, it made my heart full. "You're beautiful."

"You're not too shabby yourself," I teased.

James tucked a few loose strands of hair behind my ear before stopping, his face puzzled. "Did you change your hair?" I held my breath as I waited to hear his opinion, already anticipating a negative response. "I love it."

I cocked an eyebrow. "You do?"

He nodded. "Dani, you could be sprouting horns on your head and I'd still think you're the most beautiful girl in the world."

Was it getting hot in here or was it just me?

Not waiting for a reply, James stood up and extended his hand for me to take.

"Can't we just stay here?" It was so peaceful on the clifftop and I wanted to relish this moment for a bit longer.

"Sorry, no can do." James clutched my hand and hoisted me up to my feet. I brushed away the dirt and debris from my clothes, knowing it was too late for those grass strains on my hoodie. 

Still holding onto James' hand, we walked down the cliff, over the fence, and to the side of the road where his car was parked. Rather, where Angelina was parked. After his motorcycle was stolen three years ago, Niko offered to sell his beloved Civic, Angelina, to James. Of course, my brother used this as an excuse to splurge on a fancier and more expensive car. Mom was furious, but not even a fraction as angry as she'd be once she saw the car Brenton bought.

James opened the passenger door, and I sat inside. "How chivalrous," I commended. He did an overdramatic bow as he closed the door, making me roll my eyes. James sat inside and started the car. He changed the gear shift to drive and began driving to what I presumed was home. His right hand held onto mine and he interlaced our fingers.