[book 1] chapter twenty-four: the untold story of cade

"KIDS, YOU'RE GOING to be late," Mom's voice boomed through the entire house

"KIDS, YOU'RE GOING to be late," Mom's voice boomed through the entire house. My eyes snapped open and I shook James, who was already awake. Recalling our conversation from last night I felt pretty stupid trying to wake him up.

    "You have to leave," I whispered.

    He grinned lazily. "But I'm so comfy."

    "Out," I hissed. 

    I dragged James to the window and watched him as he climbed back into his room. I didn't release the breath I had been holding in until his feet made contact with his bedroom floor. I then ran to the bathroom before any of my brothers could infiltrate it and I got ready for school. I was dreading the conversation I was bound to have with my mom as I walked down the stairs, but she was nowhere in sight. I checked the kitchen, living room, dining room, den, and study, but I couldn't find her. It wasn't until I peered outside did I see her car missing from the driveway.

    "Mom went to work," Brenton said from behind me. "She left these for you." He handed me my phone and the keys to my car.  

    I furrowed my eyebrows, confused why she gave these back. If anything I assumed she would have just held onto them longer after the way I went off on her.

    "Niko took Alex to school and then he's back to Penbrooke," Brenton continued.

    "Aren't you the messenger today?" I mused.

    He ruffled my hair before slinging his duffel bag over his shoulder. "I'm leaving for practice, I'll see you later."

    I watched Brenton's retreating figure walk out the door to meet one of his stupid friends with a car no doubt. I went to the kitchen and grabbed a granola bar before making my way outside. As much as I would have loved to skip homeroom, the nerd I was dating wouldn't be caught dead skipping class unnecessarily.

~*~

    As soon as we got to school James ditched me to go print an essay before classes started so I was alone at my locker fishing for my textbooks. Amber texted me that she'd be at school soon which I was glad about because I had a lot to fill her in on. I wasn't really up for telling her everything via phone call or text so I waited until today to dish out the horrendous weekend I had. I didn't turn around when I felt a hand clamp on my shoulder. 

    "Grab the granola bar from my back pocket," I told Amber. "I'm starving." When she didn't respond I turned around, my breath getting caught in my throat at the person who was definitely not Amber.

    "Dani."

    "What do you want, Cade?"

    "We need to talk," he said.

    My eyes peered at his hand which was wrapped around my wrist. Of course, the one time he was gutsy enough to approach me at school I was all alone. "Let go of my arm," I said slowly. He actually did as he was told though he probably feared me screaming and getting everyone's attention in the hallway. Students were at their lockers and walking to their classes but no one paid any attention to us which Cade was using to his advantage.