[book 2] chapter twenty-six: sleepover with holden

"I'M HEADING OUT for a grocery run, I'll see you later," I told Alex as I walked past the living room

"Driving with no licence?" he said. "That doesn't sound too legal."

"Shut up." I peered over my shoulder to see what the little snitch was up to. Instead of playing video games, as was his usual pastime, he was using the family tablet. I couldn't see who he was talking to but I could tell he was on a video call. "Who's that?" I asked.

"Nobody." He lowered his voice and said, "I'll call you later," before hanging up.

My eyebrows shot up in surprise. "Who was that, Alexander?"

"Eat my fart, Daniella," he replied in the same tone.

I ignored him and lunged forward to grab the tablet. Alex whined for me to give it back, but ignoring his cries, I looked at the recent call log and gasped. "Is that Hailey Rollins?"

"Yeah, so?" He tried to look aloof but I could tell he was nervous.

A widespread grin formed on my face. "You like her, don't you?" He didn't reply but based on how red his cheeks got, he didn't need to. "Alex, that's so cute!" I gushed.

"Don't tell anyone," he warned. "I don't want Brent teasing me or Holden beating me up."

I chuckled. "You're dead if Holden finds out."

"You better not say a word," he threatened. "Or else I'll tell Brent that Holden still likes you."

I gasped and nearly dropped the tablet. "What the hell do you mean?"

He rolled his eyes. "I'm thirteen, not stupid."

"You don't know what you're talking about." I grabbed the car keys off of the coffee table and left before he could spew any more nonsense.

~*~

"You really didn't have to do this," Helena said for the third time today.

I set the grocery bags on her kitchen counter and emptied their contents. "After what you've been through? Yeah, right."

I opened her refrigerator door to put the eggs and milk inside, surprised to see she already had some. I put them back on the counter and made a mental note to return them on my way home. I then took out the apples and bananas I bought, also surprised to see she had more than enough. Leaving the refrigerated items, I opened her cabinets to stock them with soup cans, once again taken aback that they were already there.

"When did you go grocery shopping? You could hibernate with all of the stuff in here."

Helena laughed. "Leila dropped them off yesterday after her shift." Her forehead creased as the smile wiped off her face. "I assumed James would have told you to spare you the trip."

My lips curved into a frown. "Oh. I guess I could return them."

"I'm sorry, dear," she said sympathetically.