[book 1] chapter six: i commit another felony

"GOOD MORNING, MOM

"GOOD MORNING, MOM."

    "You're going to leave the house dressed like that?" was how I was greeted.

    I glanced down at my attire. "What's wrong with these clothes?"

    "Sweetheart, I buy you so many nice clothes. Please go change into one of those."

    "But I—"

    "Don't argue, just go."

    I rolled my eyes and went back to my room to change. I slipped on a pair of light blue jeans and a dusty pink silk blouse on top. I decided to do something about my hair before Mom could make a remark about it too. I brushed out my dark brown waves and pulled my hair into a tight high bun. Just to add the cherry on top, I even redid my mascara to ensure there were no critiques regarding my appearance.

    God, I hated Mom's obsession with perfection.

    "Now you are looking like a prim and proper lady," Mom said as I re-entered the kitchen, and it took all of my willpower to not mock her. "My opponents are not only keeping watch on me, but on my family as well. So it would be nice for you all to play the part by dressing and behaving well," she continued.

    Alex made a face from where he was seated, eating his cereal. "Does that mean I have to start wearing a suit and tie to school?"

    Mom grabbed a napkin and wiped off his milk moustache. "No, honey, you look just fine." She kissed the top of his head before reminding us to be on time for dinner.

    It wasn't until she was out the door did I take out the bun that was cutting off circulation to my brain. I ran my hand through my hair as I let it rest at my shoulders.

    "I liked your hair," Alex remarked. "You looked like a ballerina."

    "Then you make yourself a bun." I flicked my hair tie at him. He dodged my attack but unfortunately for him, the elastic fell in his bowl of cereal.

    My baby brother glared at me as he pushed his bowl away. "I'm going to Isaiah's after school."

    "What am I supposed to do with this information?" I asked.

    "Don't pick me up, duh."

    "Alex, don't make your sister feel like an idiot," Brenton said as he joined us. "That's my job."

    I cocked an eyebrow. "You're literally the dumbest person in this house, Brent."

    Alex pointed his spoon at Brenton accusingly. "You made me do your geography homework last year."

    "Well how am I expected to get enough sleep, eat right, play lacrosse, ace my other classes and know the capital of every goddamn country? There's, like, a thousand of them!" Brenton exclaimed.