[book 1] chapter eight: study buddy from hell

"HOW WERE THOSE errands yesterday?" Amber asked as she sat behind me in biology

    "What?" I suddenly realized what she was talking about. "Oh! They were great."

    She gave me an odd look and laughed. "Not typically the word I'd use to describe a chore. So, how's your research presentation going?" Judging by the smirk on her face I doubted she had much care for disease outbreaks.

    "Haven't started yet," I answered.

    "I would kill to be partners with the mysterious babe," she whined. "Instead I'm stuck with Lesley Canters."

    "Lesley's nice."

    Amber gave me a flat look. "She hyperventilates if you make eye contact, Dani. How am I going to get anything done?" She sighed. "You're so ungrateful."

    "No, you're delusional," I corrected.

    "Good morning," Mrs. Frazer said as she entered the classroom. She cocked an eyebrow when she saw Amber. "Ms. Lane, please move to your assigned seat." 

    Amber glumly stood up and swapped seats with James. I didn't turn around once, unwilling to make eye contact with him. Mrs. Frazer began today's lesson and I just quietly took notes. Without having Amber to talk to, my mind wandered. It wasn't until I heard someone clear their throat did I snap out of my daze. Mrs. Frazer stood in front of me, a stack of papers in her hands. 

    "In case you weren't listening, I am handing back last week's quiz," she said. Mrs. Frazer placed a sheet in front of me. "It would do you good to stay awake in my class and potentially review your notes too." 

    Written in red ink on the top of my quiz was my score which happened to be 12/20. I did the math in my head and had to suppress a gasp when I realized I got a C- on this quiz. With college applications right around the corner I couldn't afford anything lower than a B+ or else my future would be at stake. 

    "Don't forget there's a unit test on Monday," Mrs. Frazer said to the class. "For some of you, this could determine whether or not you get into your desired schools." 

    I couldn't help but feel like that last remark was aimed at me. Regardless, the crabby bitch was right. I had to ace this test.

    When I felt someone kick my chair from behind I instinctively turned around, thinking it was Amber. Much to my dismay it was just James. He wrote in his notebook and didn't look up at me as he spoke. 

    "Since we're stuck doing this project together, I want to start it sooner than later. We're meeting up after school to start planning."

    "Try asking instead of demanding," I suggested.

    "Unless you'd rather fail." His eyes dropped to my quiz. "Nice grade, I'm sure colleges will love that."

    I felt my right eye twitch due to my annoyance with him. "After school it is."