[book 1] chapter thirteen: my window gets smashed

"I WASN'T EXPECTING to see you here tonight

"I WASN'T EXPECTING to see you here tonight." 

    I turned around to tell Amber we should leave but she was nowhere in sight. Leave it to Amber to ditch me when I needed her the most.

    "Well," I awkwardly shuffled my feet, "my brother's the team captain so..."

    "Brenton played great today. I'm happy we switched positions, he makes a much better midfielder than I did," he said with a smile.

    "Is there a reason why you're attempting to make small talk with me?" I asked, getting straight to the point.

    He frowned. "All night while I was playing I couldn't help but look at you. It's been months and you're still always on my mind, D."

    "Don't call me that."

    "Seeing you all the time kills me inside."

    "Oh, that's rich." I laughed dryly. "So are we just pretending like summer never happened?"

    He sighed. "No matter how many times I apologize it isn't enough. I want to go back to the way things were."

    When I felt a presence beside me I breathed a sigh of relief. "We should go," Amber said to me.

    Cade looked at Amber, his fists clenched. "How about you leave and let me talk to Dani alone?"

    Amber's eyes widened, taken aback by his harsh tone. "I...I..."

    "You've said more than enough," he spat. "Now leave us alone."

    "What's going on here?" another voice chimed in. 

    Holden stepped forward, dressed in a Birch Mount t-shirt which had to have been his father's doing. In any other situation I would have laughed and made fun of him, but now was definitely not the appropriate time for that.

    "We're trying to have a conversation," Cade dismissed.

    "If you know what's good for you then you're going to walk away right now, Thompson."

    Cade rolled his eyes. "Get out of here, Rollins."

    "Leave," Holden repeated.

    "Dani's a big girl, she doesn't need her bitch guarding—"

    Before Cade could finish, Holden cut him off with a punch to his chin. Cade stumbled back but he caught himself and swung at Holden. Pretty soon the two of them were in full-on fight mode, swinging their arms and legs at each other without a care. The remainder of the people who were still here were watching intently and filming the fight, but no one dared to intervene. I tried to step in, but Holden almost knocked my head cleanly off my neck so I retreated. More and more people started to gather around the duelling duo.