[book 1] chapter nineteen: the real james hastings

I GRABBED THE last of my belongings and went to the parking lot to go home

I GRABBED THE last of my belongings and went to the parking lot to go home. James was leaning against my jeep as he waited for me, earbuds in ears, paying no attention to the world around him. I learned my lesson from trying to sneak up on him so instead I activated my car alarm, making him jump at least five feet in the air. "I really hate you sometimes," he said grumpily.

    "Hurry up and get in," I urged. "We've got my house to ourselves for a few hours." That was enough to make him bolt inside my car and fasten his seatbelt rapidly.

    "How was English class?" The distaste was evident in his voice.

    "Relax, Holden didn't show up again," I assured him. 

    Ever since the incident, Holden had been absent from English class. I found out from Brenton who found out from one of his teammates that Holden discovered a sudden burning passion for wood-shop, so he was altering his schedule around to get into that class. I was just waiting on his transfer so Mr. Ridgeway would let me work on our assignment solo. I turned into our street and noticed a car reversing from James' driveway and speeding off. 

    "Who do you live with?" I wondered aloud.

    "None of your business," he said coldly.

    I raised my eyebrows. "Let's try that again without the attitude."

    He looked out the window to avoid making eye contact with me. "I don't want to talk about it."

    "You can tell me anything," I said softly.

    His grey eyes peered at me. "Really?"

    I nodded, giving his hand a squeeze of reassurance. "Of course, James."

    "Can I tell you inside?"

    "Sure."

    I parked my car and we went inside. James had only been here once, but he remembered the way to my bedroom so I let him go as I prepared a snack. I poured a bag of sour cream and onion chips in a bowl and grabbed two cans of coke before going upstairs. "Coke clogs arteries," he said nonchalantly. "One can will increase your risk of heart disease by twenty percent."

    "At least I'll die happy." I popped open the tab and took a long sip, making sure to exhale in satisfaction.

    We sat across each other on my bed and James began to speak. "What do you want to know?"

    I extended my legs, letting my feet rest in his lap. "Tell me everything."

    "I'm serious."

    "Who do you live with?"

    "My stepdad's brother."

    "You have a stepdad?"

    "I believe I just said that."

    "What about your biological dad?"

    "Don't know, don't care."