[book 1] chapter thirty-three: i commit my third felony

"DANI, ARE YOU okay?" Niko grabbed my shoulder as he looked at me with concern

"DANI, ARE YOU okay?" Niko grabbed my shoulder as he looked at me with concern. "You're turning kind of green."

    "I'm not feeling too good," I started, praying Niko wouldn't prod too much. Although he wasn't nearly as good as Alex at detecting my lies, I felt the guiltiest being dishonest with him. "I think it was something I ate."

    My brother's eyes widened. "It wasn't from the taco truck, was it? I've been wanting one all night."

    I had to fight the temptation to smack my face with the palm of my hand. "No, Nikolas, it wasn't the taco."

    He scowled. "No need to pull out that name, sassy. It's fine, you go home and rest."

    "Are you sure?" I couldn't make it seem like I wanted to leave or he might get suspicious.

    He smiled, nodding his head. "Brent will understand."

    I smiled back at him, feeling knots forming in my stomach. Why was I doing this for someone who didn't even care about me? I knew it was smarter to stay here with them, so why was I saying goodbye to everyone and walking to the parking lot? The foreboding feeling increased with each step I took but it was too late to turn back now. Despite James proving to be an absolute prick, he deserved college more than anyone I knew, and even though we weren't together I wanted to help him one last time. I quickened my pace as I entered the parking lot, making a beeline for my car.

    The person had sent me the address and instructed me to go to the pick up location, put the boxes in my car, drive to the delivery site, and once I dropped it off my money would be waiting for me. The contents of these boxes I did not know, but I figured the less I knew the better. Overall the task sounded simple enough, it was just a quick drop-off, no questioned asked. Plus James had done it before and he was fine, so how difficult could it possibly be?

    Surprisingly this drug delivery wasn't the most challenging part of my night yet. While walking toward my car, I noticed an all too familiar figure up ahead. My jaw slacked as I saw her get out of her car, a confused and semi disgusted look on her face as she took in the view. The one time I didn't want to be seen had to be the one time Mom decided to be a parent. I ducked behind the nearest car, peeking out from the side as I watched her walk to the field. It was such a weird sight to see her dressed in a dress, blazer and heels while everyone else at this game was repping Stone Creek Jerseys and track pants. I held my breath as Mom walked past me, lowering my head so she wouldn't be able to spot me. Once she was far enough I ran to my car and hopped inside. Without wasting another minute I started the engine and drove before Mom could spot my jeep.

    The drive to the pickup site wasn't too bad, aside from the near heart attack I got whenever my GPS announced the next turn. In about twenty minutes I arrived outside of what seemed to be a furniture warehouse. This was obviously a coverup, but I was smart enough to know when not to ask questions. I exited the car and knocked on the front door three times as instructed.