4: Your Own Eyes Shine

The night passed fitfully for most of the two teams--and their extras.

Shine fell asleep on the couch downstairs from pure exhaustion at the dimension lag.

Wally put a coat on her as a blanket and then ended up falling asleep leaning on the end of it on the floor because he got hit hard.

Shine woke up suddenly early in the morning, just before dawn, feeling like something had startled her awake.

She felt like her senses were tingling, but she wasn't sure for what.

Then she heard movement upstairs and thought maybe someone had gotten up and that's what she heard.

She might have been right, because Jaune did appear and so did Oscar.

"I just couldn't sleep..." Oscar explained, looking tired.

"Yeah," Jaune said.

"You guys want some coffee?" Wally sat up, rubbing his eyes. 😴🥱

"Sure," Oscar said. "But you don't have to make it--"

"Oh, no, 8 cups coming right up," Wally said. "How did you take it?"

"We don't need 8 cups...unless you're making it for everyone else?" Jaune said.

"No, 6 of these are for me, unless Shine wants some," Wally said.

"I won't say no to coffee." Shine rubbed her face also. "Oscar takes it plain with two sugars. Jaune hasn't said, but I would guess he's a 3 or 4 sugars kind of guy, with cream."

"Uh...yeah. How did you know that?" Jaune said.

"You remember what I did?" Oscar said.

"I tend to notice everything the first few days," Shine remarked. "My brain gets hyper sensitive in these new environments."

"I got it," Wally said.

He disappeared, and they heard things move really quickly.

"The sun's not even up yet." Shine glanced at the window. "We didn't sleep for very long...well, long enough, I hope."

"I'm worried about that plan," Jaune said. "It sounded like a better idea last night."

"It'll work," Oscar said confidently. "We have to try, right?"

Shine made no comment.

Jaune was about to say something else when suddenly the door was knocked on.

They all turned to look at it.

"Who would be here at this hour?" Oscar said. "Shine, you and Wally don't have more friends, do you?"

"None that I know of," Shine said. "And if so, we have a whole other problem to talk about. Maybe you were followed. Or maybe it's someone we wouldn't expect."

Wally brought her some coffee. "First cup goes to the MVP in my life," he said smoothly.

"Aww..." Shine said. "You mean human of course."

"Only you would make sure of that before taking a compliment," Wally said.

"I'm just messing with you," Shine said.

"Guys, aren't you worried that you got followed?" Jaune asked.

"Well, here's an idea, Jaune--you could answer the door and see," Shine said. "And if we were, we'll take care of it."