153: Face to Face

"Ready?" Raven asked Vara shortly.

"No." Vara rolled her eyes. "Your brother and the Ice Queen are making out on some roof."

"Ugh, at a time like this?" Raven replied.

"So you see that too?" Vara said.

"I don't know that there's anyone who doesn't, except maybe the kids," Raven said.

"Be honest," Vara said, "how long have they had a thing?"

"To my mind, he liked her from the day they met in Atlas," Raven said. "But he's a stubborn ass. I can't say when it was mutual. Same, maybe. Schnees are weird like that."

"Excuse me?" Willow passed by the door and gave Raven a strange look.

For some reason she made Raven kind of uncomfortable--like maybe she'd never had a mom, but Willow acted like one.

Right after that, Weiss and Winter returned with Qrow right behind them.

Winter looked like she'd either cried or had some other kind of emotional moment, but no one asked her what.

"So what is the plan?" Winter asked tiredly.

Weiss explained.

"What? We're not just going to abandon this city." Winter said exactly what they thought.

"I thought you were going to talk her into it," Vara said unhelpfully.

"I was getting to it," Weiss said.

"Look, I have the d--- Relic." Raven held it up like it was snake. "Let's just go."

"Miss Likstar gave no such instructions," Winter said.

"She's not here right now," Raven said. "And clearly she can't come, or she would have already. Face it, we need to fend for ourselves. This idea is worth trying."

"Or do you just want to save your own skin?" Winter said.

Raven narrowed her eyes--because that was partially true.

"It might still be smarter," Qrow said.

"So far only the Maiden powers have been able to compete with these plagues," Winter argued. "If none of us are here, it's going to be impossible to remove them."

"We're hoping it'll lift if Salem thinks you're not here," Weiss said.

"It could get worse, Weiss," Winter said.

"I'm not doing this." Raven's temper was short. "Stay or come, but we're going before it gets worse again."

She pulled her sword out and sliced into the air. A red portal appeared.

Weiss glanced at Qrow questioningly, who shrugged.

Vara flipped them off. "Bye, b-----s."

She dove into the portal.

"I don't envy Theo when she finds him," Qrow muttered.

"Well, Schnee, are you?" Raven asked. "This is not as easy as it looks, so hurry up."

"I most certainly will do no such thing--" Winter began.

"Sorry, Winter," Weiss said, making a glyph behind her and vaulting her into the portal before she could stop herself.

"Weiss!" Winter caught herself with magic.

Raven unceremoniously kicked her the rest of the way in before she could get a good grip.

"She's going to kill you," Qrow said.

"Like you did not want me to do that," Raven said. "I hope you don't miss your girlfriend too much, Qrow. Let us know if you don't die by tomorrow, all right?"