102: The Prophet, The Liar, The Honest

After that big conversation, the rest of the day was pretty mellow by comparison.

Still, everyone felt a bit somber. They knew they'd just made a big decision, deciding to veer even slightly from Ozpin's plan.

It was odd how easy it had been.

As for getting Vara to remove the Relic for them, Shine said the easiest way would just be for Pyrrha to talk to her and present the plan. Vara probably wouldn't object to it if it got everyone off her back. The only difficulty would be getting the Sword to Haven without being caught.

Wally said he could just run it there, with Raven, or she could follow him. No problem.

Actually a solution that seemed pretty simple, all things considered.

Mercury hated this plan--because it gave him very little time.

He snuck out the first chance he got to call Tyrian.

And Tyrian was not happy.

"The goddess wanted to wait till they were less prepared to attack," he said. "This is not her plan."

"I can't do anything about it--if I argue, they'll think it's suspicious," Mercury said. "Cinder better get her a-- here and take care of  the Summer Maiden before they get that Sword out."

"Don't presume to tell us what to do," Tyrian said. "Wait for orders."

But, in fact, he called him back just five minutes later.

"The Queen wishes to speak to you and Watts in person," he said.

"Watts?" Mercury said. "I can't get him."

Watts had been kept in that room since rescue, though his accommodations were nice enough; he'd gotten to shave and shower and eat.

"Find a way and meet me at the usual place," Tyrian said. "Or come alone, if he really can't be sprung, but get creative."

Then he hung up.

Mercury sighed.

But it turned out not to be that hard. All he ended up having to do was distract the guards outside Watts' room by breaking a window farther down. Then he slipped Watts out and shut the door. Mercury hadn't learned nothing working with thieves. He could pick locks pretty good now.

As long as the others didn't check to make sure Watts was still in there... Well, Watts could take the heat for it if he got caught.

[That would never work if Shade wasn't so understaffed, but I guess that's what makes it convenient for Mercury to spy on them there.]

* * *

The meeting was pretty short after all the trouble:

"Dear Arthur, how nice to finally speak to you in person," Salem said. "And I hear you have news for me."

"Yes, your grace," Arthur said. "A chance to get the Relic and Maiden all in one go. Those fools are going to hand it to us on a silver platter. They intend to take the Sword to Haven. Raven Branwen will be there. All we have to do is be there first--or intercept them here in Vacuo."

"As much as it would be simpler to meet them at Haven, it's crawling with Faunus," Salem said with disgust. "While Tyrian could slip in easily enough, they might notice a skirmish there. I prefer to get the Sword now, destroy Vacuo, and then get the final Relic for ourselves. But I want Ozpin alive. We're not finished with him yet."

"Of course, Your Grace. That shouldn't be hard to manage." Watts straightened his collar.

"And this contact of yours," Salem said, "she can be useful?"