101: Moment to Die?

Winter didn't actually go to bed at all. She stayed out on the wall all night--which was only about 6 hours anyway after the conversation.

The boys got back from having their fun, mostly in a good mood, except for Mercury, who seemed testier than usual.

Qrow and Tai, while not upbeat, were at least less stressed after having to focus on something else for a while.

Tai said it was a good idea.

The girls told them all that they'd had fun, but that Shine and Winter had seemed upset and gone off at some point.

Wally was surprised and went to check on Shine. He wasn't surprised when she told him what was bothering her, but they talked it out till she felt better.

Pyrrha and Emerald found her asleep, they thought, when they came up.

But Winter never did come in, though no one knew it till Raven mentioned it around dawn when some of them were up again already.

"She didn't come back?" Hazel said. "And no one thought to check?"

"I didn't even know she was missing till I woke up," Raven said. She was not in a good mood. "I supposed she was working, but now you're saying she just disappeared?"

"Why would anyone let that happen?" Qrow was mad.

"Let's not jump to conclusions," Ozpin spoke, through Oscar. "Perhaps she is working."

"Do you mean the lieutenant lady?" Velvet walked in, with Coco, looking sleepy. "Fox said he saw her head up to the high wall. There's a door that leads up there. You can look at the whole kingdom."

"We know that," Raven said testily. "Is she still there?"

"We don't know." Coco didn't like Raven much. "Go see for yourself."

Raven didn't care that much.

"I'll go," Qrow said. "And if she's not there, someone is going to be in for it down here. If she is there, I'm going to kill her. Of all people who should know better than to not report in like that..."

He left.

"Someone's getting a little too invested," Raven remarked dryly.

* * *

Winter didn't even realize how long she'd been outside till she saw the sun peeking over the horizon.

"What?" She looked at her scroll--which was almost dead. "It's been 6 hours?"

She was so lost in thought it had felt like 2 at most.

Well, no one would be up yet except perhaps some of the more battle hardened who never slept that long, so no need to worry about looking bad--she hoped.

But that hope was short lived because Qrow appeared from the doorway.

Winter didn't see him right off. She was trying to check messages just in case someone had texted her, but so far nothing.