152: Sword and Shield

Raven got the Relic back out successfully.

Weiss and Qrow looked for Winter in the town.

It was so dark outside that they could have passed her several times and not known it, even with Weiss using fire dust to light her way as well as she could.

Vara got fed up with looking finally and jumped into the air and made a huge ring of fire around herself.

Her control was truly impressive, Qrow had to admit.

Winter actually saw Vara before anyone saw her.

Assuming Vara had lost her mind and was about to attack the black dome, she leapt into the air and flew at her.

She'd just been on a roof anyway, but the blackness of no starlight or moonlight to reflect off the tiles made her almost invisible. And she hadn't noticed them looking for her either.

Vara nearly had a heart attack when Winter just sprang at her, eyes blazing.

"Are you out of your mind?" she scolded her.

"Oh, there you are." Vara dropped the fire and just hovered. "Hey, you left me no choice. You think I'm looking over this creepy kingdom all night? You picked a great time to disappear, Ice Queen."

"Firstly, stop calling me that," Winter said indignantly. "And secondly, I didn't go far. Did you all really plan anything in that amount of time?"

"Took, like, 2 minutes, actually," Vara said. "We have a brilliant and well thought out plan."

She said that very dryly.

Winter didn't believe her for a moment.

"I'm sure," she said. "But I really don't want to discuss this anymore till I've had time to clear my head."

"I know, you want to have a hissy fit." Vara of all people was no one to talk, but she did anyway. "But there's no time. The sooner we fix this, the better. So come back to the house so we can get a move on, or I'll drag you."

"I would like to see you make that attempt." Winter was in no mood for this--and Vara annoyed her anyway.

"Oh, you want to see that?" Vara should have just relented, but Winter also annoyed her, and she was already short tempered enough as it was to want a fight after all the stress of the day. Her eyes flashed more.

Winter couldn't believe Vara actually was going to attack her.

"I don't advise starting it with me," she said. "You wouldn't be likely to fare well in that fight."

"And you're acting like a child," Vara said. "But go ahead. I really need to hit something after the week I've had, so why don't you just come at me, b----? See what happens."

"I'm not going to attack you. I'm simply going to leave." Winter wasn't going to listen to this. "And you can go back."

She turned in the air to fly away.

Vara, angered by what she took as arrogant dismissal of her abilities, pounced on her like a tiger.

Weiss, now that there were two lights up there now, even if they were faint, headed that direction--tripping over things on the way.

Qrow flew that way also, but he found Weiss first.

"I think Vara found her," he said.

"Uh...I can't really see what's going on," Weiss said. "But it doesn't seem like it's going on well."

A strong gust of wind knocked some chimes off a hook near them.

"Did they actually start fighting?" Qrow said.