127: Looking Through A Haze

Even if Yang agreed....everyone else didn't.

Shine spent most of the time they were gathering their belongings and sorting out who was doing what, trying to convince Winter, Tai, Raven, and even Hazel, that this was a good idea.

Theo and Vara were pretty much immovable, but they didn't get a full vote.

Winter was more persuaded by Shine's reasoning once she heard it all, but Tai didn't want Cinder anywhere near Ruby...however Raven pointed out that he was barely a part of this.

For her part...she wasn't against using her, it wasn't like she hadn't done it before. But what happened to her tribe still angered her,  if she had felt less crappy right now it might have made her more opposed.

But Hazel said that getting the Fall relic only made Salem more likely to.

But the person with the biggest problem with it was Ozpin himself.

Nothing could convince him. He wasn't budging.

And they kind of needed him.

Oscar, however, wasn't really quite sure he agreed with this plan either. He didn't trust Cinder at all.

And he was the only one who could have pried the information out of Ozpin's mind.

Shine accepted Ozpin's refusal by saying that he could think about it while they worked on taking care of the Sword.

So far Cinder didn't know their plan to put the sword in the vault.

Mercury, of course...was not on board.

"The one perk of switching sides was going to be not seeing her stupid face anymore," he griped.

"It won't be for that long," Shine said.

"So?" he said.

Emerald was less enthused than him.

"I know this is difficult," Shine said. "But she'll only be with us till we drop you off in Haven, and then we'll go to Beacon. Just avoid her."

Emerald sighed.

Shine told Watts separately not to tell Cinder what he knew about the Sword. Which suited him just fine. He didn't want her to know, he wanted an advantage. He figured if he got the Summer Relic somehow, and Cinder failed to get the Fall one, as he was certain she was going to, he'd look better by comparison.

He failed to see that Shine was setting him up to think this on purpose--or if he did, he thought it was inconsequential.

Wally heard the whole plan from Shine--plus the part she didn't tell the others, which was that in the long term, she didn't think it mattered that much if it worked.

"Just keeping the ball rolling for now, till the team is more ready," she said.

"Shine," Wally was studying her. "I've just figured it out. This planning, scheming side of you, I know what it reminds me of."

"Batman?" Shine said.

"No not Batman," Wally said. "You know that show about the Air Bender kid your sister made me watch."

"I thought you said it was good."

"Yeah it was, I can't wait till it comes out in my world," Wally said. "But you remind me of that fire guy, Zuko right? His sister."

"WHAT?!" Shine was insulted.

"Yeah yeah, like Zulu, what's her name..."

"Azula?!!!" Shine said. "She's crazy! How can you say that?"