57: Against The Odds

Winter didn't fully pass out, but she felt like crap.

Qrow met Robyn outside the tent, and she began to say how foolish it was to even stay out in the sandstorm at all.

Raven came flying around and then said to Qrow in a great fury, "The trickster isn't around here anyway."

"Well, I'm not surprised she dipped, but she can't have gone far," Qrow said.

"I did see the girl with illusions," Raven said. "I'm sure it's connected."

"Wait, where's Likstar?" Qrow wasn't done with her yet.

"If she's smart, far away from you," Winter said.

Robyn went off anyway to find Shine, and Raven didn't care to ask her--mostly because she was afraid of Shine and not of Neo. She might get on the Ice Cream Girl's case, but not Shine's.

"Winter?" Willow came into the tent. "Oh...are you all right?"

"I'll be fine," Winter said. "Just the...sandstorm."

And a hundred other things.

"This is probably not a good time to tell you this--" Willow looked a bit shamefaced. "--but it can't wait.... Your...brother is missing."

"Whitley is missing?" Winter sat up and almost threw up.

She eased back down.

"Wait, what?" Qrow heard that last part.

"It must have been during the storm," Willow said, embarrassed still. "He must have been outside. I had thought he stayed at the school, but then some of the others were rushing to cover up the..." She lowered her voice. "...t-o-w-e-r. Perhaps he went with them."

"You weren't watching him?" Winter said.

"I...was inside," Willow said.

With a bottle of champagne, no doubt, Winter thought to herself. Well, great...one more thing went wrong today.

"But he couldn't have gone far..." Willow said. "He must be in the kingdom somewhere, I'm sure...if one of the Huntresses wants to look for him."

"A kid like that will get eaten alive on his own," Qrow announced cheerfully. "Especially when he dresses like that."

Willow probably knew that already, but she winced anyway.

"I should look for him--" Winter began to rise and then realized she'd not be able to do that.

She stopped and swore in a low voice.

"Winter!" Willow was shocked.

Ironically, that had to be the most motherly thing she'd said to her in years.

"What?" Winter was in no mood.

"Well...uh...would you?" Willow turned to Qrow.

"Me?" Qrow said. "Eh...sure. What else do I have to do?"

Winter was on the point of saying that Qrow wouldn't do any such thing because it would be too helpful, but she stopped.

"I'm sure that rat is out there too," Qrow muttered as an aside. "Can kill two birds with one stone..."

"Oh, thank you," Willow said.

Winter winced. "Is Elm still around?.... We're short far too many captains now, but someone ought to be informed who's actually combat ready.... Where's Penny?"

"I think she's still dealing with Grimm on the other side of the kingdom," Willow said, "where not as many people are...I heard anyway. What I would give for my camera setup at home."