72: Match The Darkness that You Felt

Emerald could have handled herself just fine against probably even 3 people, if she had time to plan it better. Gotten them to attack each other.

And she did give it a valiant effort.

For a few minutes they were trying to push her around, and she deflected it with her Semblance and pulled out her weapon and tried to get away from them.

But the problem was she could only keep the illusion in one or two of their minds at once, and the others would catch her right before she could slip away and pull her back into their "kill circle".

Her Aura kept them from hurting her that badly at first, because they weren't using their powers, but they got tired of her just deflecting all their attacks.

One of them pulled out one like a cattle prod and jammed it at her.

Emerald ducked, and he hit one of his friends instead, but as she tried to slip behind them, he got her in the back, and she was zapped. Her legs gave out.

It wasn't for very long, but before she could get herself back up, they finally grabbed her again and push her into the wall of one old building, pinning her in place.

"All right, enough fooling around," said one.

Emerald suddenly noticed there were more of them than before. At some point a few girls had joined the group; they must have been from a different team.... They didn't look any nicer. No wonder she couldn't get away!

"Anyone coming?" one of the guys said.

"No." The girls were looking around the corner.

"We're not going to...kill her, right?" said one guy who must have been wondering if this was really huntsmen behavior.

"I don't see why not. She's a terrorist," said another, who was much angrier looking. "I was there at Beacon. It was a nightmare. Haven and Atlas too. We don't want them bringing that here. This is saving our own kingdom. I think it's a smart thing to just finish her off."

"Okay, okay, let's not rush into this," the leader said. "We could get in trouble if we kill her. You know he said to just send a message to them, not do any permanent damage."

He?

Emerald sucked in a breath. Had Theodore put his students up to this? Was it more than negligence? Was he actively sabotaging them now...or just her?...

She was foolish to think she could ever hide in this kingdom.

"I don't want to kill someone," one of the girls said. She spat at Emerald. "I hate her as much as you, but we're supposed to be heroes. "

"And I'm saying she's the scum of the world and we should just get rid of her now," the mean one repeated. "It's not killing if it's in self defense."

"She's been helping around the school," the nicer one said. "I'm not saying I trust her, but is that self defense?"

"We already got this far and you want to have a conversation about whether this is okay or not?" the mean one said. "Just grow a pair."

"You have your head up your a--," the nicer one said.

They started fighting amongst themselves right then.

"Shut up!" the leader said.

Emerald tried to wiggle free, and they noticed. They slammed her into the wall again.

"You got any last words, b----?" one of the ones holding her down said.

Emerald knew she should be making some kind of plea for her life and about her change of perspective...but her mind was going blank. She was too freaked out.