143: Carry On

Torchwick actually helped Vara round up everyone on the train, which amounted to about 15 people.

"We have to find some way to slow down without killing everyone." Vara was losing her cool.

Neo raised her hand, and then she pointed outside and mimed two things linking together, then she made a motion like they were blowing up.

"Cut the ties off?" Torchwick said. "Oh, so the car will slow down away from the engine. That's not a bad idea. Anyone have fire dust?"

The people looked at him blankly.

Neo pointed ahead.

"Right, there would be some in the engine room," Roman said.

Neo sprang through the doors and over the cars nimbly to the engine room.

The she yanked it open, and tossed the guard back into the previous car.

Grabbing one of the cases of fire dust, she jumped, and rolled with it into the car.

Roman and Vara had followed her.

Roman picked up.

"Wow...she's good," Vara said.

"Yes," Roman nodded. "Good work Neo, we just need a car now."

"I'm not much of a mechanic, but the caboose is going to be there alone," Vara said. "It's heavier."

"Everyone to the caboose--that sounded really stupid," Roman said.

Vara held up the guard, who was mad, and said "Just go to the back, we're trying to save your life."

"On whose authority?" he said.

Vara's eyes lit up with fire.

He yelped and ran.

Everyone ran for the back, even the conductor.

The train was starting to lose traction on the rails.

They all got in the back car.

Torchwick and Neo put the fire dust on the links and Torchwick lit it with his lighter.

They backed up and the caboose broke off of the cars and began to slow down.

[Yes, this is just like Anastasia. Sue me, it's a good movie]

Vara focused and summoned wind.

It wasn't that strong, but she got it to push back at them, slowing the car down more.

Ahead of them, the rest of the train swerved and went off the rails, careening into some of the railway sheds outside of Mistral--thankfully most of them didn't have people in them on a given day.

The engine exploded after that.

"That's going to be us in 15 seconds!" One of the train guards yelped.

"Shut up," Roman said. "Uh, Vara, any ideas?"

"Pray?" Vara said. 

She cranked up the juice and pushed hard...but the track was too slick, they started to wobble.

"Okay, we're going to go off, everyone grab something," Vara said. "Hopefully I slowed it enough for the impact not to kill us."

They grabbed the wall and the caboose flew off track into the dirt and bushes around Mistral.

At least they missed any buildings.

The caboose slid a few dozen yards before it finally stopped because it hit some trees that were big enough.