137: Love I've Never Known

The train pulled into Argus without any incidents along the way.

Apparently one Maiden wasn't enough to draw the Grimm. And Salem didn't know to follow them here.

At the station, Winter wanted to go to the base straightaway, after Jaune gave her the address of his sister's house.

"Do you want me to walk you to your house?" he asked Pyrrha.

"I'm sure my parents would love to meet my team," she said, "if you all want."

"Oh, sure," Nora said. "We can go to Jaune's house later."

"Technically, it's my sister's house," Jaune said.

"Whatever," Nora said.

Ren didn't mind going to Pyrrha's house first.

"Do you guys want to come?" Pyrrha asked Emerald and Mercury.

"It's either that or go with Water Boy," Mercury said. "I really don't know which of you I don't like more."

"You aren't going with me," Neptune said. "I can't explain to my mom bringing home criminals--she'll kill me. I'll just catch up with you guys tomorrow, all right? Unless you want to go out for dinner somewhere."

"Just text us," Jaune said. "We'll figure it out. You'll be okay alone?"

"No one is looking for me. I think I'll be fine." Neptune walked off.

"Touchy," Nora said.

"Winter, are you sure you'll be all right alone?" Jaune asked.

"As he said, no one is here. I should be fine," Winter said. "Just keep messaging." She held up her scroll, and then she walked away.

Secretly, Winter was glad enough to get a chance to do anything alone for the first time in weeks. She wasn't exactly an introvert, but she liked to have her solitude often enough, and this was finally room to breathe.

Also she had the other item of getting new clothes.

She could have just requested a new uniform from the Argus base, but since it wouldn't match her rank anyway--that seemed degrading--she thought perhaps just foregoing it for now was better... Anyway, reminding people of Atlas' humiliation seemed unwise in Mistral. 

But she did need a new coat, so she stopped to get one... White and blue. She wasn't feeling that adventurous.

Also she picked up some hair supplies.

Though she hesitated slightly... Her appearance was a little softer now... Was that a bad thing? Now that she didn't need to worry about representing her troops...but she was being ridiculous.

She left the shop, wondering why it seemed like this didn't quite fit her anymore. Nothing had really changed in a few weeks--why did it matter?

At the boot-shaped base, she was at first told to get lost, but finally someone told Cordorvin that Winter Schnee was there, and she came to apologize profusely.

Winter found her as irritating as usual but kept herself in check as much as she could.

She explained to them what really happened to Atlas, some of which they'd heard rumors of but hadn't known what to believe.

Cordovin lamented how tragic it was and that the loss of General Ironwood was also hefty.

Winter wondered if Cordovin would feel the same if she knew what the General had done... Perhaps she would. She seemed very fanatical.

Great skies above, is that what she used to sound like? she thought to herself, as Cordovin went on about it. No wonder Qrow thought it was stupid.

She hoped she was never quite so fanatical. [Ah, don't worry, Winter, you sell it a hundred times better than Cordovin.]