27: Tell Me I'm Still Breathing

Things had gone almost as badly for Ruby's team since they split up.

Turns out getting into the control room from the Schnee shipment center was the easy part--and pretty funny when Nora accidentally sent Weiss shooting up too early.

But after that? Not so much.

Pyrrha had got them inside the control room all right because she'd been able to walk right in and show her huntsmen ID.

"The General sent me to make sure there were no problems," she said.

The people on staff weren't too bright, luckily, and didn't question it.

From there it was easy for Pyrrha to use her Semblance to wrench something out of place that wasn't connected to the mainframe that Penny needed to use, and when the technicians rushed to see why it had just popped off, she was able to keep them distracted while Mai snuck the girls past.

Of course Pyrrha had to stay put and stall for time and pretend to make helpfully suggestions like, "Maybe there's something jammed inside it."

She waited.

When they didn't come back in enough time, she began to worry. Then she heard crashing.

"I wonder what that is," one person said.

Pyrrha raised her sword. "I'd better go check it out," she said.

"It's probably nothing," said one of them. "But we could call for security."

"I've got it," Pyrrha said. "I'm a huntress after all."

"She's Pyrrha Nikos," one person hissed. "There's no way she's gonna have trouble dealing with whatever it is. Probably just some robot going haywire anyway."

"Okay..." they agreed.

Pyrrha raced off before they could rethink it.

The Ace Ops had found the team and had locked Penny in the hanger with them.

The others were trying to get in.

Nora got the brilliant idea to hit it with her hammer and get fried with lightning.

"Nora!" Pyrrha gaped.

"I'm okay!" Nora said, stepping back. "That was pretty awesome..."

The door's light went out.

"Pyrrha, can you get it open?" Blake suggested.

Pyrrha raised her hand and yanked it open.

"Stay back," Weiss told her. "Don't let them see you help us. You're our only wild card if we get caught... Can you take Nora?"

Nora waved. "I'm fine," she said.

Some fire dust came shooting out the door and hit her in the chest, exploding.

"Nora!" they cried.

"Harriet!" they heard Marrow yell from inside. "Don't kill them."

"Kid needs to learn to get out of the way!" Harriet yelled in return.

Pyrrha was disliking her more and more.

"I've got her." She waved at the others. "Get Penny."

They rushed into the door.

Pyrrha rushed up to Nora and frantically used the metal around her to start smothering the fire and the shield.

She pulled some ice dust out and broke it open too.

Finally she got it out.

"Nora, are you all right?" She took her hand.

Nora looked kind of dazed. "I think...I maxed out my Aura with that lightning hammer strike.... Not sure...had enough left...to protect...from...fire..."