103: The Leader, The Pariah, The Victor, the Messiah

[AMV "Stressed Out" by Scarlet Ammo.]

Jaune had done some thinking after the discussion about the Relics, about what he really believed they should do.

While he'd been convinced of who he was supposed to be serving since Underland, he'd assumed he just needed to keep doing what they'd been doing--now he wasn't so sure.

Pyrrha seemed so sure--until Vara had shaken her up, but she seemed to have rallied a little.

However, she was fooling no one, as was proved by what she told Jaune happened right after the meeting had adjourned.

"Winter pulled me aside and asked me if I was the one Vara chose," she said, somberly. "Qrow joined us--he seemed to have the same idea, but from the way Winter acted, I don't think they planned it, they just...knew."

"Please tell me they didn't put pressure on you," Jaune said. He was not entirely over Qrow doing that before.

"Oh, no, it was very different than I expected..." Pyrrha reflected.

* * *

"And is she prepared for your refusal?" Winter had demanded to know.

"You already are sure I would refuse?" Pyrrha was surprised.

Qrow had gotten a little miffed. "All that work to get out of it, and you'd think twice about refusing? Are you crazy?"

Winter had given him a look of pure disbelief.

"What?" he said.

"Nothing," Winter said, looking away. "That was not what I expected to hear, is all."

"Me neither, I confess," Pyrrha said. "Mr. Branwen, you thought before--"

"D--- what I thought before. Clearly I don't have this figured out." Qrow got more vehement than expected. "Don't throw your life away twice, kid. Enough of that has gone around. You wanted out--take your chance."

Pyrrha was moved that he was so sure.

"I want to," she said quietly, "but she doesn't want to let me. It's...horrible, but..."

She quickly told them what Vara threatened--each time she said it, it sounds worse to her than before.

Winter turned pale.

"She wouldn't go that far." Qrow was stunned. "Really... No...wait, I could see it."

"How abominable." Winter was mad. "She can't make you do that--this should be a choice, if nothing else, if it can be. And to do herself injury like that--she's just giving up?"

"It's been very hard for her, from what I've gathered," Pyrrha said.

"No excuse," both adults said in unison--and they exchanged a look like they were stunned they were agreeing.

"Does Raven know about this?" Winter changed her tone.

"Not yet. I'm a little afraid if I told her this she'd feel either angry or guilty," Pyrrha said. "I mean...since it was the failure of that plan, I suppose that has pushed Vara to give up. But who relies on kidnapping and forcing someone to give up their powers as a plan? It's just mad to do that."

"Theo can't know about her last recourse," Qrow reasoned. "No way he'd be so calm if he did."

"What could he do about it?" Winter said.