124: Always Right in Past Tense

Mercury swam up out of a sea of unconsciousness, with a headache and bad taste in his mouth, only to realize it was late in the afternoon.

"Finally." Emerald was sitting nearby, arm bandaged.

Mercury felt pretty hoarse in his throat, but he coughed and then said, "What happened? Last thing I remembered was passing out in the tunnels."

"We made it out," Emerald said, sounding relieved. "Somehow, everybody did. Even Hazel is okay--he got poisoned too, but they treated it before he even really felt it, so he's fine."

"Wow, that b-----d landed a hit?" Mercury tried to sit up, which hurt more. "I feel like s---t. What's in that stuff?"

"You're lucky to be alive!" Emerald said. "If a basic antivenom didn't work on that, we'd have been in trouble. I don't even know what that is (Penny tried to explain it), but they had it for regular scorpion stings. It works on you with a little extra dosage."

"Wait, this is Shade, isn't it?" Mercury realized. "Oh...crap... Did you tell them what happened?"

"All they know is that Tyrian stung you." Emerald rubbed her arm. "I really don't think they need to know the rest."

"Are you kidding? They're going to find out," Mercury said. "And you'll get in trouble for covering for it. Don't do me any favors. I can take whatever they dish out."

Emerald sighed. "Look, Merc, they've been talking. Shine and Wally are saying that we don't have time to recuperate here that long, because Salem is going to come now that she thinks we're vulnerable. We're leaving as soon as everyone who was injured can at least be moved... They think that'll be tomorrow or tonight. Qrow was the worst other than you, but they gave him some transfusions and stuff, so he can probably move as long as he doesn't push it, and Jaune helped with the Aura loss... We're all weak, but we're mobile mostly. Shine asked me to ask you if you're going with us?"

"What?" Mercury said.

"She said after what happened she couldn't blame you if you want out, but she thinks it's a bad idea for you to go off alone," Emerald said. "I told her you would stick with us, but she said to ask. Some of the students here aren't moving--they want to protect Vacuo. But we're gonna need a lot of people to move that...Relic, so...you know...I'm going. Hazel is too. But if you want to camp out here, they probably won't expect that, so it might be safer."

"Safer?" Mercury rubbed his head and winced. "The frick do I care about safer? My biggest question is why anyone would even think about letting me go with you all at all. I wouldn't if I were them."

"No one else said much," Emerald said. She rubbed her head also. "I think they all kind of...know, you know? But since you came back with us, no one is saying anything. They don't want revenge. I won't say they aren't pissed, but your wagon is hitched to ours, right?"

"Likstar knew what was up," Mercury remembered suddenly. "When I captured them--frick, I attacked them. Why is she not talking about that?"

"I...really don't even think she cares..." Emerald said, point blank. "Honestly. I don't even mean, like, she's put it aside, but like I seriously don't think it even crossed her mind. She's way too focused on our next move."

"I can't freaking believe that woman," Mercury said. "Or the others, even... So my choices are stay here and wait for Salem, or go with you and meet her head on? Wow...I'll have to mull it over..."

He lay back down and stared moodily at the ceiling. "We're all so dead."

"I really should go rest," Emerald said, rubbing her eyes. "I said I would once you came around... Just think about it, all right? I'm too tired to deal with your s--- right now, but if we're that screwed either way, you could just stick with Hazel and me. Might as well."