166: Paradise Lost

Salem didn't learn of the end of Vacuo's plague until her scouts reported it--in their way.

And then Tyrian also let her know in more detail. He had evaded detection by anyone, but he saw that the city had come back to life.

Also that Shade had split into pieces.

Salem knew the Vault was gone; her Grimm spies had reported this already.

But when she heard that the school had been put back together--and that the death toll had been only a fraction of the kingdom--well...

After her initial rage, though, the incident had to give her pause.

This change was unexpected.

And in her perusing of that wretched book, she'd come across several stories. She was more sure than ever that the upstart woman was threatening her.

Salem did not often experience anything like fear, but after everything, she was wondering if she was going to keep hitting dead ends... At this rate, it could take years to get the Relics if they kept stopping all her attacks. Even if she wore down the kingdoms, these people had endless tricks... She needed to get them to hold still, to surrender.

And since all attempts to do this were failing, she began to think her tactics were lacking.

Well, it had been eons since she'd had to worry about any opponent who was almost remotely clever. Ozpin's game had become tired many centuries ago, and he never had new ideas. She'd never imagined she'd ever need to change her strategy this many times.

But why keep raging about it if it got her nothing?

And this meant that perhaps she needed to understand her position better after all...and this could only mean talking to them.

But she wasn't about to show up in person. That was an obvious trap, and while she didn't really think they could harm her--she was just uncertain enough to be cautious.

* * *

The day after the first day of recovery, Shine told the team that if she didn't hear from Salem by tomorrow, she would just go on with her plan. At which point, she would let them know what it was.

"I'm sure some of you have guessed at least a part of it," she said, watching their faces, "and have made up your mind what you will do. But let me state again that I won't blame any of you if you decline to help from this point. It is a risk I feel only people who are sure of what they want to do should take. It's not a matter of worthiness, by the way. A task falls to people, whether they are worthy of it or not, often in the course of history. I don't believe that worthiness is what always decides who is important. It may be that some of you are worthy enough not to undergo this, as it happens. But I think I know what I must do. And it may not be easy for me to do it, so I can't ask you to join me if even I have my doubts."

"I thought you didn't have doubts," Blake said.

"No, we all have doubts." Shine didn't even get mad. "But I refuse to be ruled by them. So despite them, I intend to do what I feel I need to do. But I wouldn't force anyone to go who is afraid to--and I mean not just afraid naturally, but afraid deeply. So search yourselves."

"Go where?" Nora asked.

Shine didn't answer that.

"It means facing her. We know that," Pyrrha said. "And we know we can't bring her to the kingdoms without starting this all over. So it either means just going into the wilderness, or...well, somewhere else. But I think my mind is made up either way."

"I know some of you already have made your choice," Shien agreed. "However, I'm giving the rest of you a chance to decide also...and...it will be your last chance. I will allow no one to turn back after this, not willingly--simply because, if they do, they will probably die in the process. If someone runs after this point, I won't go after them... It is probable they will never be found, however. Salem will have us cornered if we separate. So, if you think you might do so...it's better to say so now."