95: A Warning

Several hours later, Raven and Yang had both been attended to...but there was no noticeable harm done to them, physically, except a few marks from the test on Raven.

Yang couldn't really explain why the whole experience had freaked her out so much, once she told them what happened in brief.

Most of them thought it was less bad than they expected.

"I guess Vara was a little too worried," Oscar said. "Sounds like she didn't do that much to Yang. And Raven is mostly okay."

Raven could have slugged him for that, but she didn't know how exactly to argue either.

Wally and Shine were the only ones, along with Pyrrha and Winter, who seemed to not feel this way.

Pyrrha because she could imagine how she'd have felt if she were them, and Winter because the idea of the same thing happening to her was terrifying.

Wally had been captured enough times and met enough mad scientists to not take it lightly, and Shine...well, she knew stuff.

But neither of them spoke about it right then.

All they wanted to know was if Victoria seemed likely to recover from the attack. It had not gone quite how Shine envisioned it, because of Yang's change in situation and the alarm system they didn't know about.

Shine took that better than the others would have if their plan had run into that kind of obstacle.

"Still, we don't have much hope of Theodore not knowing about this," Winter said. "He saw Neo, from what she...communicated. And Hazel."

"Yes, he's going to think that either they worked aside from us, or he'll figure it out," Shine said. "Either way, I suppose we can't keep up our game anymore. I was getting sick of it."

"Sick of it?" Qrow said. "That's your reaction to the whole thing being thrown?"

"You never liked that plan anyway," Shine said, "so why does it matter? Every plan only works for a short time anyway, and then you have to adjust it. The whole thing is exhausting, but that's war for you. I think we'd better just deal with it. Raven and Yang need to rest, and all the kids have been up most of the last two days, and we're all stressed. But if we have to leave the school, we'd better be ready."

She pursed her lips. "There is something we need to talk about also, but I think it should wait 'till we know where we are with Vacuo."

"But we have nowhere to go..." Winter said.

"If nothing else, we can go back to Beacon and Haven," Shine said. "Glynda would allow us, and I'm sure Gira and Kali would also. And no one else is using the school right now. By the way, Ozpin really should appoint a new headmaster to Haven."

"We'll add that to the to do list of things to do if we survive 'till next year," Qrow said.

"That's no way to talk," Shine said. "It should be done whether or not you survive."

Qrow stared at her and then chuckled kind of flatly. 

Winter frowned. "We never run out of problems."

"Nope," Wally said, cheerfully. "But we are going to need a break. But I guess we'll wait till Theo for that... So what are we going to do to him?"

"Well, if the jig is up, I suppose we can do whatever we like," Shine said. "But after that, I imagine he'll go to Vara first....I wonder what she'll do."

* * *

The answer would probably not have surprised Shine that much.

Theo did head back to the house--a bit warily, since he'd already gotten quite the lecture from Victoria about how much damage she had to fix.