119: We'd Rather Die

Vara wasn't sure if Vic was really buying this, so she had to act quickly.

As soon as she walked into the kitchen area, she grabbed a water bottle out of the fridge, because she really was dehydrated, and then she focused, thinking upward.

Her eyes blazed with fire, and the air in the room began to feel buzzed with ion charges and static electricity, which covered her arms and hair.

But the wind in the room was mild. She was focused on the space above her, in the sky above the hideout.

* * *

Outside, clouds appeared overhead, darkening and swirling around like a hurricane.

"Whoa..." Tai looked up, astounded. "This is what this looks like?"

"This is nothing," Yang said, but she was kind of freaked out too.

"That's the signal," Qrow said. "Time to go."

They opened the trapdoor and rushed down the stairs.

* * *

Kip had successfully disabled the security system. Thankfully, his mother didn't even come that direction to see if he'd gone to bed or not.

He still felt guilty--but also, seeing the state Raven and Winter were in, he was more determined than before.

Raven saw him flying with something and frowned at him. But she didn't protest, because she thought he was following orders--until she saw the lights over the doorway went out.

She was smart enough not to say anything then either, but she motioned at him.

Kip flew over nervously.

"Kid, let us out of this," Raven hissed. "Can't you turn off the Aura-blocking stuff?"

Kip shook his head. "Mother never lets me touch that part. Only she knows the right code order for each thing. I could...kill you, instead."

Raven almost wanted to flip that coin rather than lose an opportunity to escape--but realized, even if she got out, she couldn't run far. Her Aura wasn't recovering very quickly at all--also her magic wasn't working perfectly still. Victoria hadn't gotten around to fixing it yet--in fact, Raven had been shooting 🪶 🪶 feathers off with no warning at all, and she was afraid if she even tried to use magic, she'd turn into a bird, without wanting to, and then back.

She had no idea if Winter was up to a fight, but she hadn't heard a word from her since earlier, not even crying... It was just dead quiet.

"If you're helping us, then who sent you?" she hissed at Kip. "No way you're alone."

"Your friends... They're outside..." Kip said.

Those idiots!

Raven could have cried in relief.

"So let them in," she said. "Anything in that tunnel system that we should know about?"

"No, I don't think so--" Kip was cut off by a siren sounding.

"Did she do something?" Raven covered her ears.

"No, that's our Grimm alert!" Kip said.

Victoria raced into view--

Kip got farther away from Raven before she could see him.

"Oh, we needed this!" Victoria cried, turning off the siren sound.

Then she ran up to a different door...one that Raven assumed led into the maze from a different part of the bunker.

She turned to check some computers...