59: Apostasies

After the storm ended, Libby said she should be on her way.

To Whitley's dismay, he found they were in an entirely different part of town than before. 

"How did we get so far away?" he said.

"Happens," Libby said.

"But I can't find my way back to Shade from here..." Whitley said. "I..." He checked for his scroll. "Where is my scroll?..."

"This one?" Libby held one up.

"How did you get that?" Whitley asked angrily.

"Took if off you while you weren't looking," Libby said. "Wondered how long it would take you to notice...a full 30 minutes at least. At that rate you'd be stolen blind in less than two shakes."

She tossed it back. "You have no street smarts at all, Governor."

"I didn't need them in Atlas," Whitley said snippily. "And I think that was a mean trick."

"Oh, don't get your drawers in a twist," Libby said.

"Oh...it's dead." Whitley was dismayed. [Actually I've never seen a charger on RWBY... Are scrolls solar powered? I suspect in a storm that wouldn't work either though... They can't just be infinite though.]

"For a fee, I've been known to give tours of the kingdom," Libby said casually.

Pause.

"You mean you'd take me back?" Whitley said.

"For a fee," she repeated.

Whitley weighed his options.

"I suppose," he said. "Do you take credit?"

He got a scornful look.

"Of course not. I'll find change," he said.

"Be more than change," she said pointedly. "Well, come on then. We're losing what's left of the daylight."

She took off walking.

How she had the energy after that suffocating storm was beyond him.

[In case you hadn't put it together yet, Libby's character is a reference to the Chimney Sweeps from Mary Poppins, as well as the Robber Girl from the Snow Queen who takes pity on Gerta and helps her find her friend.]

* * *

During this time, Qrow didn't find Whitley.

He just missed him, actually. By the time he got to the right spot, Libby had taken Whitley farther away from it, as she preferred to use streets that were harder to be spotted on.

Qrow flew around some, but they stayed just out of his line of sight; perhaps it was his bad luck kicking in.

Giving up at last, he flew back to the camp.

While he didn't like Winter that much, he didn't like to disappoint her, because she had enough problems without losing her stupid brother on top of it, and they didn't need to lose another kid...but it was just their luck.

Maybe he really should just leave...

But the camp had moved closer to Shade in his absence, taking the sick people who they could there also and setting them up in some of the training rooms.

So he flew back there. It was nearly dark by then.

"Oh, there you are." Robyn was overseeing some of this. "Hey, something good finally--Live Wire convinced Theo to let a few more of us move in more people who need it."