81: Just A Step Away

Shine had asked team CFVY to help with getting Watts onto the plane.

Of course she'd come in to tell him first that his tip had been most helpful, and he was free to go--and stay gone.

Theodore has insisted on some Vacuo huntsmen also going with them.

Surprisingly, he wasn't against sending Watts away.

His real reason was that he figured Watts was far more dangerous if he was snooping around Vacuo, and Salem never had to know he'd even been there.

He had no idea whatsoever that Watts knew any more than that, because Theodore, while clever enough, had nothing like Shine's ability to guess when someone is being just a little too compliant.

Shine didn't miss Watts' smug look, but she laughed to herself about it.

However, she was surprised when Mercury said he wanted to help see him off.

His alleged reason was that he thought Watts was tricky and would be better handled by one of their own. Also that he was worried Watts would warn Salem that Hazel and Emerald were at Shade.

Shine thought it was odd that Mercury would want Watts to know he was even there then, and she figured his real reason was to try to slyly talk to Watts, whether to get the truth about Cinder's actions or for some other cause.

"I think that we shouldn't risk him knowing about you switching sides," she told Mercury. "Why put your life in more danger than it already is?"

"I can take care of myself," Mercury said. "Come on, I thought you were supposed to trust us now."

Was he really thinking that something that obvious would work?

"What's your real reason?" Shine asked him.

Mercury looked warily at her. "I told you."

Shine folded her arms. "All right...I have a better idea. Why don't you go as a prisoner? Then all Watts can tell anyone is that we captured you, assuming he ever does get in contact again. That would work to our advantage."

"Fine by me," Mercury agreed, surprisingly easily.

Well, to say Watts was slightly taken aback would be accurate.

"I suppose next you'll be telling me that Tyrian has become a ballerina," he said.

"Thank you for that mental image," Shine said. "Well, safe sailing." She waved rather condescendingly.

The huntsmen pushed Watts into the brig of the ship.

"Classic." Mercury took a picture. "I'm going to really enjoy this."

Watts scowled at him.

"Actually that's not a bad idea," Shine said. "But can you try to look more like you're a prisoner?"

"So what, you forgot to take my scroll?" Mercury said.

Shine smacked it out of his hand and then picked it back up. 

"Hey, give that back!" Mercury got angry.

"I just want to send the picture to my scroll," Shine said, waving him off. "Who knows? I might need this later. What, you think I'm going to check your messages or something? I don't want to know what sick and twisted things Tyrian writes. They don't have emojis in this world, right?"

"Huh? What the heck are you even talking about?" Mercury said. "That psycho doesn't send messages. I doubt he can even work a scroll."

Shine tossed it back, and he caught it even with tied hands.