169: Hope

The flight felt a little too short.

Shine was looking at the map that Watts had, surprisingly, actually gotten her.

"He wasn't wrong, there's no major landmarks on this at all," she mused. "Just looks like a dragon.

"I'm not that good at map reading," Wally said

"I'm not that good at map reading," Wally said. "But it looks kind of dark."

"It seems like we'll pass over more green country outside Vacuo first," Shine ran her finger over it. "Then we'll reach this channel. The land looks normal, up until this section, and then it's all dark. I assume this has to be how it looks from the air, no one goes in and comes out, except them."

She glanced at the villains.

"You guys could help."

"I'm not really good at this," Emerald looked over at the map. "But where that dark area starts, the land changes, the grass stops. And then it's this weird reddish purple color."

"Like mutated blood," Mercury said helpfully.

"Ew," Weiss covered her mouth.

"Cool," Meridian said.

"It's not cool," Emerald said. "It's creepy. The sun never rises there."

"It is pretty far north," Shine said. "How cold is it? Should we have packed more for that, I mean now is the time to turn back if we forgot something."

"No, it's not cold," Emerald said. "That's the weird part. It's actually kind of humid, it's not really warm either. It's just...clammy and unnatural. You can see the moon, but never the sun. It was kind of sickening, honestly."

"And there's black goo everywhere," Mercury was ever helpful. "And the grimm crawl out of it. All over the place."

"Strange, I only remember there being one grimm pond," Ozpin, for the moment calmer, said.

"Perhaps millennia ago, there only was one," Shine mused. "Salem has changed, hasn't she? Maybe the land has too. I'm sure the poison of it spreads a little farther every year. It must resemble a dragon because the gods set up shop there when they...formed the world to their will."

"About that," Pyrrha said. "You don't believe that account that they made the world, do you?"

"Not in the least," Shine said. "They aren't smart enough to."

"And how did it get here then?" Cinder, who had her one arm crossed and was looking sullenly out the window, said.

"Well, for one thing, the legend never actually said that they made the world itself, did it?" Shine asked.

"Actually, no," Qrow looked up. "But it's kind of assumed. Since they made all the things in it."

"I still don't buy that either," Shine said. "However, false gods can imitate the real one--to an extent. I can't be sure what exactly happened, but my thought is they either brought humans here, and you know they could have, since you found Underland is connected to this world, why not somewhere else? They could have changed their powers a bit. But humans are humans. And the god of light said they would walk the world again...so who knows what they did to make that happen. I mean that's a huge hole in the account. Perhaps even Jinn didn't know, if it happens outside this world." [I mean, the show is never going to answer that kind of important detail.]