42: When the Sky Turns Grey

Team Arkos spent what felt like a week's worth of time wandering the strange world they were in.

It must really have only been one night, Pyrrha thought, based on how the light changed...and even though she saw the stars overhead, it got brighter much sooner, though not like the day light, more like a twilight that lasted far longer than the nighttime itself did, but the sun didn't come up over the trees for ages.

The light change, while bizarre, at least gave Jaune ample time to read the book of John with great curiosity, hoping to find something helfpul, while Pyrrha picked her way around the plants and kept looking for a sign of the others.

Jaune read parts out loud that sounded more hard to understand:

"'In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

"'He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name.' [John 1]

"'"If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things?...For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His son into the world to condemn the world but that the world through Him might be saved."'

"'"He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already...and this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil."'" [John 3]

He asked Pyrrha what that part meant.

"I'm afraid I didn't get this far." She pointed at the book. "I'm not sure... Are you tired yet?"

"Yeah, a little," Jaune said.

It had taken a long time for them to feel tired, but apparently it did catch up with them. They also began to feel hungry and thirsty finally.

Luckily, they still had water, so they stopped to sit under a less foreboding-looking tree, out of sight they hoped of anything unfriendly--though as of yet, so far they'd met nothing hostile, and few things that were even bigger than a bug or a bird.

"Who is the Son this keeps talking about?" Jaune asked.

"The Son of God, it sounded like," Pyrrha said.

"But the gods don't have sons," Jaune said.

"Ours don't, but perhaps it's possible," Pyrrha replied thoughtfully.

Jaune kept reading for a few minutes silently, then he said, "Hey, listen to this story... This guy Jesus is talking to this woman at a well, and He tells her this stuff about herself that He wasn't supposed to know. And she goes and tells this to her village: 'Come see a Man who told me all things that I ever did. Could this be the Christ?' [John 4:29]  Doesn't that sound familiar to you?"

"If you mean it sounds just like how we've all talked about Shine and Wally, then yes." Pyrrha took a sip of some water and leaned her head back on the tree trunk. "Why are we the only ones we've found?"

Talk about role reversal. Initially, Jaune had been more concerned about this, but he was getting too engrossed in what he was reading now to be as focused on this. He felt as if he was on the verge of figuring something out. He read into the next chapter and then stopped. "Pyrrha...listen to this."